Sharpening with Green Compound
After using Waterstones I have been stropping the bevel with green compound and baby oil on a hard, smooth leather strop. Is there a way to sharpen the flat back side with green compound?  It seems like it would tend to dig in on the leather and I was wondering if something else would work.
I use a piece of mdf, works very well.
Semper Fi,

Barry
I use just about any flat surface.   Leather strop is just an old work belt.   I just use the green stick..oil just gums things up.

I try to keep the strop up a bit.  I drag the flat back of the chisel back as flat to the strop as I can, do NOT lift the handle.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
It doesn't dig in. Just lay the flat back flat on the strop and drag it across. You don't need pressure, really. Just light, quick strokes. 15-20 strokes usually gets the job done for me.

FYI, if your last waterstone is very fine, then you may not need the strop at all. I believe that an 8K is about equivalent to the green compound, if not a little finer--but someone else can fact-check me on that. A 15K stone is definitely finer. But if you're stopping at a coarser grit, then yes, a strop is a good way to finish honing the blade. It's also a good way to touch up the edge regularly as you work.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Watch this.  Fast forward to the stropping portion (around 0:55).

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
When I used water stones (Nortons up to 8000), I found that I did not have to strop. I am currently using oil stones and do strop to polish the edge.
(03-17-2018, 10:04 PM)HomerLee Wrote: After using Waterstones I have been stropping the bevel with green compound and baby oil on a hard, smooth leather strop. Is there a way to sharpen the flat back side with green compound?  It seems like it would tend to dig in on the leather and I was wondering if something else would work.
It will dig in to the leather if you PUSH the edge into it..You have to use PULLING strokes on leather.
Oil is fine on a NEW strop but you do not want to keep applying it or it will defeat the purpose..An initial application on a new strop helps soften the green compound and charge the leather,.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The baby oil helps the compound spread on the leather. After that, I will use a little mineral spirits on a paper towel to clean up the strop when it starts to get grungy.