TS Blades
Got a new (to me) JET cabinet TS in the shop. I am needing new blades, both rip and combo. I am looking at Freud LM84 for the combo and LM72R for the rip. Are there other blades in a similar or slighter higher price range that I should be looking at? I have used a Tenryu blade in the past and really liked that one, so I may look at what they have available. The rip blade needs to be full kerf and have a flat profile, just not seeing other options right now.
I just reviewed my new Freud blade in the woodworking forum:  https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7338088
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've used blades from many different manufactures and have been pleased with most of them. Of all of them though, the blades that have consistently given me the best results and bang for the buck over time have been those from Ridge Carbide, http://ridgecarbidetool.com/saw-blades/r...lades.html . Probably others that I have not tried yet would be very acceptable however in my experience Ridge Carbide has always been very positive.

P.S. Is the Jet cabinet saw all that you expected it to be?
Cooler, thanks, I went ahead and picked that blade up tonight at Woodcraft along with the rip blade I posted. Got some 8/4 hard maple to turn into end grain cutting boards so those blades will get a good workout.

Sweensdv, Don't know yet. Got this from WN member Closed for Business. Still need to hook up the cord and fence system, but so far I am really liking it. The trunnion is really smooth.
(03-19-2018, 11:18 AM)Scoony Wrote: Got a new (to me) JET cabinet TS in the shop. I am needing new blades, both rip and combo. I am looking at Freud LM84 for the combo and LM72R for the rip. Are there other blades in a similar or slighter higher price range that I should be looking at? I have used a Tenryu blade in the past and really liked that one, so I may look at what they have available. The rip blade needs to be full kerf and have a flat profile, just not seeing other options right now.

I think saw blades have gone the way of bicycles. I mean the proper designs and processes are out there for all manufacturers if they are so inclined to produce a proper saw blade. No-one holds a patent or secret process or one of a kind piece of equipment that makes their blades that much superior to any others. Many manufacturers have the proper equipment and knowledge of design to turn out a good TS blade these days. That being said, saw blades last long enough to be considered an investment. I have no problem paying a little extra for a known good manufacturer. Freud has received the majority of saw blade $ from me. I own both the Freud blades you were considering along with a fine cross-cut and dado. I have never felt a project would have turned out better if I had used a different saw blade.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Ripping Freud LU87.  The best, best bang for the $ and lasts a long time.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
OK, I have a related question. I also like Feud blades. My issue in the past has been finding someone locally to sharpen them, properly. The key here is properly. Most of the local sharpening services take a wire wheel to the blades to clean them and end up removing the red Teflon coating (on the blades that have it). When I asked about this, I was told it was so that the person doing the sharpening could engrave the blade with customers name and give the blade an ID number. I almost laughed in his face.

When you go to Freud's website, http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/sharpening , there are no authorized sharpening services in the Washington, D.C. area. The closest is in PA. I don't have an issue sending them out.

I have other brands of blades that are coated as well and am afraid to send them out for the same reason. Also, all of the local shops tend to take off too much carbide when sharpening. We don't seem to get as many sharpening's as we should from our blades as a result of this.

There are several companies that get high recommendations around here, I trust everyone's judgment and experience. Has anyone had the same results that I have ? Where do you get your Freud blades sharpened ?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-21-2018, 09:00 AM)museumguy Wrote: OK, I have a related question. I also like Feud blades. My issue in the past has been finding someone locally to sharpen them, properly. The key here is properly. Most of the local sharpening services take a wire wheel to the blades to clean them and end up removing the red Teflon coating (on the blades that have it). When I asked about this, I was told it was so that the person doing the sharpening could engrave the blade with customers name and give the blade an ID number. I almost laughed in his face.

When you go to Freud's website, http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/sharpening , there are no authorized sharpening services in the Washington, D.C. area. The closest is in PA. I don't have an issue sending them out.

I have other brands of blades that are coated as well and am afraid to send them out for the same reason. Also, all of the local shops tend to take off too much carbide when sharpening. We don't seem to get as many sharpening's as we should from our blades as a result of this.

There are several companies that get high recommendations around here, I trust everyone's judgment and experience. Has anyone had the same results that I have ? Where do you get your Freud blades sharpened ?

I have two Delta rip blades (I don't know who makes them for Delta, but very nice blades).  When one gets dull I send it out and start using the other one.  You need two blades.  One to  use and one to send out for sharpening.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I can't help with the sharpening but a sales rep for a local saw blade line told me years ago that one of those vendors on Freuds list would take any blade that came in and left the sharpening on TCG settings because they didn't think it mattered.  Don't go by any list, go by a recommendation if you can get one.
(03-21-2018, 09:00 AM)museumguy Wrote: OK, I have a related question. I also like Feud blades. My issue in the past has been finding someone locally to sharpen them, properly. The key here is properly. Most of the local sharpening services take a wire wheel to the blades to clean them and end up removing the red Teflon coating (on the blades that have it). When I asked about this, I was told it was so that the person doing the sharpening could engrave the blade with customers name and give the blade an ID number. I almost laughed in his face.

I am lucky enough to have an ACME tool store near me. They have a sharpening service that uses state of the art sharpening technology. They send the blades to this sharpener service somewhere in the twin cities in Minnesota. I can say they do a great job. I was never very happy with local sharpeners. I have had numerous saw blades and dado blade sets sharpened with excellent results. They have a web page and talk about their sharpening service there. http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/service-sharpening
I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied user. I am sure there are other just as good services out there.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!