Glass cutting ?
(03-20-2018, 10:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: Fletcher makes the Cadillac of hand scoring tools.  

The one pictured costs about $20.00.

They make a deluxe one with an oil reservoir for about $65.00.  But for occasional use it is not a good value.

They sell replacement carbide wheels so it is a long lasting tool.  

A ketchup squirt bottle filled with kerosene makes lubricating the line easy.  Just lay a narrow puddle of kerosene over the proposed cut line, then score.  The carbide will last longer.  

I always cut dry because as a picture framer, the kerosene represented a contaminant that would have to be cleaned off.

https://www.amazon.com/CRL-Fletcher%C2%A...cher&psc=1
The Amazon ad doesn't say what the Fletcher wheel is made of. Is it better that others made of diamond, carbide, or tungsten?
Agree temp is not the issue.    Old glass seems harder if you were trying to cut used glass.    I was taught to only scribe it once as the second time dulls the cutter. (don't know if that is true )  Roly
(03-20-2018, 05:39 PM)Roly Wrote: Agree temp is not the issue.    Old glass seems harder if you were trying to cut used glass.    I was taught to only scribe it once as the second time dulls the cutter. (don't know if that is true )  Roly

Don't know about that??  It does make a cleaner cut with one good score.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The glass I was cutting was new- I bought it last fall. I did not oil the cutter.

I try to score once because I have never had good luck with the second score

(03-20-2018, 05:36 PM)Willyou Wrote: The Amazon ad doesn't say what the Fletcher wheel is made of. Is it better that others made of diamond, carbide, or tungsten?

The replacement wheels I've bought in the past were carbide.  

Here are the specs:  https://www.fletcherviscom.com/frame-joi...ss-cutters
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks. Good info. I've bookmarked the site.
(03-19-2018, 07:01 PM)goaliedad Wrote: For the longest time I could not cut glass, then I got a really good cutter.
Yesterday I had 3 pieces that the cuts failed. The only thing I can think of is the glass was cold- maybe 30 degrees. I went to the local Ace ang picked up more glass, and it cut fine.

Any experience with cold glass not cutting?

I used to do stained glass and I still have the glass cutter that has a small reservoir that holds a small amount of kerosene, I never had a problem cutting any type of glass., very similar to this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Gl...Sw9c1Z0a~w
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13