Planing perfect dados
I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

[Image: 35a.jpg]

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-20-2018, 08:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great content.  Thanks for sharing and demonstrating. I enjoyed it very much.
Thanks for sharing.

I do have a Stanley 46, and only wish that someone was currently making blades for some of the widths that Stanley omitted.
Very thorough Derek.  Thank you for sharing.

Frank S in IA
(03-20-2018, 08:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Very well done, Derek...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Regards from Perth

Derek

thats for taking the time to do that write up     jerry
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for taking the time to inform us of your experiences.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek,
I have bookmarked to read later when I can absorb all of the information.  I bought one, but I have been too busy to really look at it and, frankly, I am a little bit intimidated about it.  I am sure that this will help.  I will let you know.
Regards,
Save the whales! Collect the whole set.
(03-22-2018, 07:32 AM)Dan in Louisiana Wrote: Derek,
I have bookmarked to read later when I can absorb all of the information.  I bought one, but I have been too busy to really look at it and, frankly, I am a little bit intimidated about it.  I am sure that this will help.  I will let you know.
Regards,

Dan, you're the guy I am writing this for. Keep an eye out for more.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
IF I do take the time to set up the Stanley 45 for dados, they do come out pretty good.   5-6 drags backwards to let the spurs do their job..

IF I have the 45 set up for other jobs ( beads, or grooves)  then I merely set the depth stops on  my Langdon 75 Mitre box,  saw the dado's walls, then a chisel to pop out the waste.   Chisel can slao pare the dado flat....

There is another plane out there ....the Stanley #39 series of dado planes.   Each plane was sized for the dado you wanted to make. Had a pair of spurs/nickers , and a depth stop.    Right side was milled flat, to allow a batten to be used to guide the plane.    Cutter was at a skew.   I have been using my #39-3/8"   to clean out the bottom of the dados, lately. 

One nice feature of using the mitre box to cut a dado's side walls.....I can even make angled  dados, like for the ends of totes, for any angle up to 45 degrees.   And is very repeatable.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that