Electrolysis
What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-21-2018, 06:41 PM)blackhat Wrote: What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.

I use an older battery charger. It works well at 12 volts and about 2 amps of current, as indicated on the built-in ammeter. A No 5 plane would be clean in about 12 hours.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Thanks Bob. That gives me a set of values to start with.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-21-2018, 06:41 PM)blackhat Wrote: What voltage and current levels do folks run their tanks at?  What time would those levels take to clean up say a grungy saw plate or a number 5 plane?  I just acquired a DC power supply and was thinking of having a go at this.

I have rehabbed many saws, and have tried a few techniques over the years, yet I've always avoided electrolysis on saw plates because of the possibility of hydrogen embrittlement.
If it's rusty enough to require electrolysis over plain sanding, embrittlement is probably low on the worry list.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy