Mechanical pencils & leads
Incra recommends 5mm mechanical pencils for their measuring tools:

[Image: markingrule_body1.jpg]

My experience with 5mm pencil lead is that they snap too easily when I write on wood (especially across grain).  There are some break resistant leads out there.

Does anyone have experience with any of the break-resistant leads?

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5eB98lBDWU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
No experience with the Delguard.

I have been using the Pentel P205 0.5mm ever since I discovered mechanical pencils.  I have them on each stationary tool, workbench, desk, and truck.  Some of the leads were too soft and too weak.  I settled on Pentel Super Hi-Polymer HB.  Yes, cross grain in porous wood can be a challenge. 

The tip of the Delguard seems a little "stubby" to me.  The video makes no mention of special lead, so I guess any standard lead will work.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I use the 0.7 mm lead mechanical pencils. They are a bit more break resistant and the lines are generally easier to see.
(03-22-2018, 10:50 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: No experience with the Delguard.

I have been using the Pentel P205 0.5mm ever since I discovered mechanical pencils.  I have them on each stationary tool, workbench, desk, and truck.  Some of the leads were too soft and too weak.  I settled on Pentel Super Hi-Polymer HB.  Yes, cross grain in porous wood can be a challenge. 

The tip of the Delguard seems a little "stubby" to me.  The video makes no mention of special lead, so I guess any standard lead will work.
It comes with a high-polymer lead.  Of course you can buy any type of lead you want.  I'm guessing that the type of lead will have the greatest influence.

I am wondering if a very soft lead that does not require much pressure will do worse or better than a harder lead that does require pressure.
(03-22-2018, 11:51 AM)stav Wrote: I use the 0.7 mm lead mechanical pencils. They are a bit more break resistant and the lines are generally easier to see.

Will the 0.7 mm lead fit in the holes on a Incra ruler?
(03-22-2018, 12:29 PM)Cooler Wrote: Will the 0.7 mm lead fit in the holes on a Incra ruler?

I don't have any of those rulers, so I cannot say.
I use a cheap throw away Papermate 0.7 mm mechanic pencil. The lead is spring loaded which reduces breakage. Been using them for years. By the box, they cost somewhere around 50 cent a piece. More importantly, they work really well with less breakage then other brands.
I tried 0.5 mm for about a week.  They just weren't tough enough in my hands and broke all the time.  I've settled on 0.7 mm as best for me.  No, no Incra measuring tools here either.  

John
(03-22-2018, 07:39 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I tried 0.5 mm for about a week.  They just weren't tough enough in my hands and broke all the time.  I've settled on 0.7 mm as best for me.  No, no Incra measuring tools here either.  

John
0.7 will not fit in my Incras.
I just picked up a package of Delguard .5mm HB pencil lead.  When I get home I will test it out and compare it with (whatever) is in my pencil now.