Harbor Freight trip
We have a Harbor Freight in our small town and I would be very disappointed if they were to go away. Not every tool you buy needs to be pro grade. They are a great source for tools that you only use occasionally. I've got a $10 angle grinder and a $20 recep saw that I've used and abused and they still work fine. Well beyond the serviceable life of what little I paid for them. I consider them beyond fair value.
That said, sometimes "you pays your money and you takes your chances"
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Have a new store opening nearby very soon.....just won't be the same without the stink.....

Last time I was at the Flint store, they had a bat flying around....
Laugh

Ed
The smell is still present at the two that i have local time.

I’ve been happy with just about everything I’ve bought there.
The only thing I buy at HF are their sanding sponges. I won't touch their power tools. I've heard too many horror stories about them. There are five HF's in my area but only one Woodcraft and Rockler. People will buy based on price if they don't care about quality, but I'm a prude. As far as power tools, I'll always go to my local woodworking machinery supplier Edward B Mueller. Always.
(03-23-2018, 08:38 PM)EdL Wrote: Have a new store opening nearby very soon.....just won't be the same without the stink.....

Last time I was at the Flint store, they had a bat flying around....
Laugh

Ed

a HF in flint??? when did that one open?
(03-24-2018, 07:31 AM)tomsteve Wrote: a HF in flint??? when did that one open?

Long time ago......10 years maybe.

Ed
I buy selectively there. So far so good with most of the stuff.  

Today they had the 20 dollar digital calipers on the "Under $10" section. They said it was a mistake, but I convinced them to honor the price. They probably marked my account for doing so.
Raised
(03-23-2018, 09:37 PM)cvillewood Wrote: The smell is still present at the two that i have local time.

I’ve been happy with just about everything I’ve bought there.

Yeah the store still has the smell but the newer better tools don't have the smell to them.  

I have been happy with pretty much everything I have bought there for years because I knew what it was and what it was capable of when I bought it. 

That said I don't think I would spend $400 on their new miter saw. I think that's a stretch for them.
(03-25-2018, 03:58 PM)Robert Adam Wrote:  
     That said I don't think I would spend $400 on their new miter saw. I think that's a stretch for them.

That's one of the many things I wouldn't buy at HF even if it were 50% off.
My Horror Fraught purchases are few & far between.....last time it was a small furniture dolly to move the compactor around.

Probably grab a bucket-o-bungee cords when the new store opens.

At least it's right next door to Walmart....
Laugh  the Walmartians won't have to go out of their way to shop.

Ed