Stanley 98 gauge
I recently acquired a Stanley 98 double bar mortise/marking gauge.  It has circular cutters on one end and pins on the opposite ends of each bar, and locks down nicely so I expect it will work well.  It needs cleaning and the cutters need sharpening, which leads to my question.  

The modern circular cutter gauges have edges flush to the end of the bar, making setting to the depth of a rabbet very easy.  These cutters are both beveled the other way.  If the cutters for the Lee Valley gauge ( http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=67466 ) fit, I'd get an outer cutter of that type.

Does anyone know which cutters would fit?  The bar on this one is is 5/16".

Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-22-2018, 10:24 PM)Alan S Wrote: I recently acquired a Stanley 98 double bar mortise/marking gauge.  It has circular cutters on one end and pins on the opposite ends of each bar, and locks down nicely so I expect it will work well.  It needs cleaning and the cutters need sharpening, which leads to my question.  

The modern circular cutter gauges have edges flush to the end of the bar...

I don't know about replacement cutters, but you can cobble up a mandrel with a small machine screw and small nuts to hold the cutter disk - chuck it in a drill or dremel and restore the edge on some medium or fine abrasive. I have a similar antique gauge with the same kind of double bevel edged cutters. It works a LOT better now that the cutters are sharp. I found it impossible to sharpen the cutters while they were attached to the gauge shafts - they turn freely.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
(03-22-2018, 10:53 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: ...chuck it in a drill or dremel and restore the edge on some medium or fine abrasive. 

Thanks, I do plan on sharpening these, and that sounds a good method.  I am hoping to find a single bevel cutter that allows the flat to the outside too.
Could someone let me know the diameter of the Lee valley gauge rods?
LV gauge rods measure ~0.310", cutter OD is ~0.375", and cutter retaining screw thread OD is ~0.106".
(03-23-2018, 10:13 AM)Souperchicken Wrote: LV gauge rods measure ~0.310", cutter OD is ~0.375", and cutter retaining screw thread OD is ~0.106".

That sounds close enough I'll give it a try.

Thanks!