Riding Mower, Blades Won't Stop Turning
I got the parts and rebuilt my mower deck.   There is a problem where after the blades are disengaged they don't actually disengage.  I've done some troubleshooting and figured out the return spring isn't returning the idler pulleys properly.  The return spring is the magnified spring in the middle top of the picture.  The other spring is attached to an arm.  The arm keeps the belt on the pulley for the blade shaft. The bracket the pulleys are on have some detents that engage a stop on the bottom of the arm.  What's happening is the when the blades engage, the detents hit the stop on the arm.  The return spring doesn't have enough tension to pull the pulleys back off the belt because of the spring on the arm putting too much tension on the detents.  Both springs are new.  If I take the spring off the idler arm,  or I move the idler arm to take tension off the stop the return works properly.    From the parts diagram it's hard to tell if I have the idler return spring attached properly to the idler arm.

I found this video. I think the 'detents' are not supposed to be there. Looking at the parts diagram, I don't see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFi9zoIEfq8
Goober it up! That guy is a hoot

(03-24-2018, 03:46 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Goober it up!  That guy is a hoot

Did you do as the video showed to grind out the worn areas ?  Lube it up as shown.   Roly
Yes, the worn areas have been ground out and the bare metal repainted. Mine was less worn. I haven't assembled yet. I will lube it when I put it back together.
(03-24-2018, 04:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Yes, the worn areas have been ground out and the bare metal repainted.   Mine was less worn.   I haven't assembled yet.  I will lube it when I put it back together.

Should work.  I have the same deck.  Roly
I goobered it up and put the deck back together this afternoon. I still have to put it back on the mower, but it looks to be working flawlessly now. Oh and I took another look at that Craftsman mower in the video. Mine is the same mower, only it's orange and the controls have different color handles.