Miniwax Polycrylic
For years I stuck by oil based finishes. Just used Miniwax’s Polycrylic satin. Very impressed. Looks great and easy to use. This could become my topcoat of choice.
I use the same flavor, instead made by Cabot. It sprays or brushes. Dries within 20 minutes or less.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have used polycrylic and their Oil modified water based poly on several projects.

Easy to spray and dry time allows me to put on three coats in a day.
Still chilly here in North Carolina w/ some unusual March winter temps - doing several projects in the basement and enjoy using the waterborne finishes for the absence of smells in the house and the easy clean-ups - currently applying a finish to a small cabinet for our local UU fellowship - snowed lightly yesterday, so mixed up some shellacs as a pre-coat and an inter-coat between a gel stain and a Minwax waterborne final clear finish - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-25-2018, 12:06 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: For years I stuck by oil based finishes. Just used Miniwax’s Polycrylic satin. Very impressed. Looks great and easy to use. This could become my topcoat of choice.

Big fan of polycrylic here, I go through 4-6 gallons a year. Never brushed it, only spraying. Dries quick, and crystal clear. I put shellac under it and it helps a ton in preventing grain from being raised.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

The big advantage for drawers and cabinet interiors is that the odor dissipates quickly.  In a closed drawer the smell from oil based can last for months.

For drawer interiors I have been using the Varathane 2X, an almost paste-like consistency brushing finish.  One coat seems to build enough for drawers and cabinet interiors.

That finish will change for me as I just bought a spray unit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-26-2018, 10:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: The big advantage for drawers and cabinet interiors is that the odor dissipates quickly.  In a closed drawer the smell from oil based can last for months.

For drawer interiors I have been using the Varathane 2X, an almost paste-like consistency brushing finish.  One coat seems to build enough for drawers and cabinet interiors.

That finish will change for me as I just bought a spray unit.

I rarely finish the interior of drawers and if I do, its with Zinsser seal coat (de-waxed shellac), with a brush.
(03-25-2018, 05:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use the same flavor, instead made by Cabot. It sprays or brushes. Dries within 20 minutes or less.

Durability in non-kitchen applications?  The little I've used Minwax Poly, I've found it to be a bit on the soft side.  OK for light duty stuff but seems to scratch easily if used for say a plant-stand's top where things get scooted around a bit.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-27-2018, 11:51 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Durability in non-kitchen applications?  The little I've used Minwax Poly, I've found it to be a bit on the soft side.  OK for light duty stuff but seems to scratch easily if used for say a plant-stand's top where things get scooted around a bit.

Never really tested the polycrylic, but The Oil modified waterbased poly from minwax is very durable. Used it on my stair treads and a few years later, it is holding up fine. Also used it on several table tops with no problems.

Only problem I have encountered with waterbased products was a friend left a bottle of scent blocker (deer hunting stuff) on a table that I refinished with a General Finishes waterbased product. That bottle of scent blocker leaked and whatever is in that stuff ate right through that finish.
(03-27-2018, 11:11 AM)Scoony Wrote: I rarely finish the interior of drawers and if I do, its with Zinsser seal coat (de-waxed shellac), with a brush.
I always finish drawer interiors or they get filthy looking in a hurry and you cannot wash it clean.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.