Miniwax Polycrylic
For years I stuck by oil based finishes. Just used Miniwax’s Polycrylic satin. Very impressed. Looks great and easy to use. This could become my topcoat of choice.
I use the same flavor, instead made by Cabot. It sprays or brushes. Dries within 20 minutes or less.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have used polycrylic and their Oil modified water based poly on several projects.

Easy to spray and dry time allows me to put on three coats in a day.
Still chilly here in North Carolina w/ some unusual March winter temps - doing several projects in the basement and enjoy using the waterborne finishes for the absence of smells in the house and the easy clean-ups - currently applying a finish to a small cabinet for our local UU fellowship - snowed lightly yesterday, so mixed up some shellacs as a pre-coat and an inter-coat between a gel stain and a Minwax waterborne final clear finish - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-25-2018, 12:06 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: For years I stuck by oil based finishes. Just used Miniwax’s Polycrylic satin. Very impressed. Looks great and easy to use. This could become my topcoat of choice.

Big fan of polycrylic here, I go through 4-6 gallons a year. Never brushed it, only spraying. Dries quick, and crystal clear. I put shellac under it and it helps a ton in preventing grain from being raised.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

The big advantage for drawers and cabinet interiors is that the odor dissipates quickly.  In a closed drawer the smell from oil based can last for months.

For drawer interiors I have been using the Varathane 2X, an almost paste-like consistency brushing finish.  One coat seems to build enough for drawers and cabinet interiors.

That finish will change for me as I just bought a spray unit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-26-2018, 10:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: The big advantage for drawers and cabinet interiors is that the odor dissipates quickly.  In a closed drawer the smell from oil based can last for months.

For drawer interiors I have been using the Varathane 2X, an almost paste-like consistency brushing finish.  One coat seems to build enough for drawers and cabinet interiors.

That finish will change for me as I just bought a spray unit.

I rarely finish the interior of drawers and if I do, its with Zinsser seal coat (de-waxed shellac), with a brush.
(03-25-2018, 05:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use the same flavor, instead made by Cabot. It sprays or brushes. Dries within 20 minutes or less.

Durability in non-kitchen applications?  The little I've used Minwax Poly, I've found it to be a bit on the soft side.  OK for light duty stuff but seems to scratch easily if used for say a plant-stand's top where things get scooted around a bit.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-27-2018, 11:51 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Durability in non-kitchen applications?  The little I've used Minwax Poly, I've found it to be a bit on the soft side.  OK for light duty stuff but seems to scratch easily if used for say a plant-stand's top where things get scooted around a bit.

Never really tested the polycrylic, but The Oil modified waterbased poly from minwax is very durable. Used it on my stair treads and a few years later, it is holding up fine. Also used it on several table tops with no problems.

Only problem I have encountered with waterbased products was a friend left a bottle of scent blocker (deer hunting stuff) on a table that I refinished with a General Finishes waterbased product. That bottle of scent blocker leaked and whatever is in that stuff ate right through that finish.
(03-27-2018, 11:11 AM)Scoony Wrote: I rarely finish the interior of drawers and if I do, its with Zinsser seal coat (de-waxed shellac), with a brush.
I always finish drawer interiors or they get filthy looking in a hurry and you cannot wash it clean.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.