Do I need a special thermostat for my heat pump??
My original question was because of two things.

1. My first thermostat (non-programmable) never turned on the heat strips. I could tell because it would take up to two hours to get a three degree increase in temperature. Also the stat never displayed "Aux" or "Em Heat" or anything like that. That's why I thought the heat strips were for "Emergency" use only.

2. All three programmable thermostats I tried activated the heat strips every time heat was called for. If the heat was on, the strips were on too. Every. Single. Time. Even if it was only a 1 degree demand. I could tell because of the much higher heat coming from the vents and the smell of the dust burning off the strips.
What was strange was the thermostats never indicated that the Aux heat was on when it was. I'm sure that most should or do so.......it's puzzling.

Right now that leaves me with a couple of aux heating choices:
Never on- Wrong but annoying. Takes forever to increase temperature.
Always on- Wrong but expensive.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
(03-28-2018, 07:32 AM)Terry W Wrote: My original question was because of two things.

1. My first thermostat (non-programmable) never turned on the heat strips. I could tell because it would take up to two hours to get a three degree increase in temperature. Also the stat never displayed "Aux" or "Em Heat" or anything like that. That's why I thought the heat strips were for "Emergency" use only.

2. All three programmable thermostats I tried activated the heat strips every time heat was called for. If the heat was on, the strips were on too. Every. Single. Time. Even if it was only a 1 degree demand. I could tell because of the much higher heat coming from the vents and the smell of the dust burning off the strips.
What was strange was the thermostats never indicated that the Aux heat was on when it was. I'm sure that most should or do so.......it's puzzling.

Right now that leaves me with a couple of aux heating choices:
Never on- Wrong but annoying. Takes forever to increase temperature.
Always on- Wrong but expensive.
The PO of this had a different solution to using the strips, the strips were on their own breaker and they simply turned them off. Maybe that would work for you?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.