Might this be Mimosa?
[Image: Vl2ngmR.jpg]

[Image: grDd3aT.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Endgrain: Semi-ring-porous; solitary and radial multiples; large to very large pores grading down to medium, few; reddish brown deposits occasionally present; parenchyma vasicentric, lozenge, confluent, and marginal; medium rays, spacing normal.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Champagne and Orange juice
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The Mimosa I am familiar with has a smooth, or relatively smooth bark. The small bit of bark that I see in your pics is not that of the Mimosa I know. However, there may well be species I am not familiar with. Or, maybe I cannot see the bark well enough.

Ed
Ed
(03-29-2018, 10:33 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: The Mimosa I am familiar with has a smooth, or relatively smooth bark. The small bit of bark that I see in your pics is not that of the Mimosa I know. However, there may well be species I am not familiar with. Or, maybe I cannot see the bark well enough.

Ed

The bark is gray and smooth. The description above nails it. The wife assures me now that it is mimosa. The leaves are a match, I just don't remember it having flowers... it wont have flowers again. Iget hundreds of them popping up like weeds... not anymore. After looking at some turned bowls online, I believe it is mimosa. I just knew she wanted it down so it's down.

I was kind of taken aback when I saw the wood. It's pretty.
[Image: vZR7Znr.jpg]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Mimosas have bright pink puffball flowers that are very noticeable - and messy. When they are shed in the rain, they stick to everything, especially cars, and are difficult to remove. Their limbs are weak. As children we were always cautioned not to climb mimosa trees because the climbs wouldn't hold us - same thing with chinaberry trees. My wife's parents had a mimosa tree at the end of their driveway years ago. The flowers were a mess and my mother-in-law insisted that the tree be removed. My father-in-law cut it down, but it sprouted vigorously from the stump, so he cut it again and it sprouted again. This went on for several summers so he decided to burn the stump. That didn't work either. Finally he got a back hoe and dug the stump out of the ground. That worked. The saga of my FIL's battle with the mimosa is legendary in my family.
Mimosa flower photo:

[Image: 41115181771_96f525c463_c.jpg]albizia-silk-tree by Hank Knight, on Flickr
That's funny. I've been told by several people to kill the stump

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS