If only LOML knew....
This isn't a gloat:  More of a confession.  Today, while on a road trip with other fellas, I picked up a couple more Stanley planes.  One was a SW No. 140 in good shape and a No. 10 1/2 from the triangle trademark era, neither of which were exactly bargains, but I was happy with the price.  So, on the way home as the other guys were discussing politics, I was mentally trying to make room in the tool box for them and making no progress.  When I got home I, for the first time in a long time, took stock of my stash.  OMG!!!  Right at a hundred bench planes, 2 No. 45's, 2 No. 46's, north of 30 block-planes, a complete set of Veritas miniatures, 20 some wooden planes, scraper planes, circular planes, more stuff and 2 large boxes of cripples.  When did I become less of a user, more of a collector and then a hoarder? 
I guess that the only answer to my dilemma is to make another tool cabinet.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
I realized I was a collector instead of a user when my planes reached 200.
Then I woke up and quit that nonsense.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

No, no. You do not reach collector status until you CANNOT count them because there are too many and they are stashed all over the place.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
So, we should not encourage the love of your life to sign up here, so she can read interesting threads?

I went through a gathering stage, too, then realized it was getting in my way. I could probably cut back yet more on how many I have, but doing so would take time.
Swartz, in his PWW blog yesterday, addressed this very issue.

I, for one, have spent this past winter cleaning, painting and otherwise sprucing up my shop. Oh yeah, this also includes extensive packing away of many, many dozens of tools, relocated to a warehouse building I own. Problem is, besides hand tools, I grew very fond of old arn.

I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel, BUT last week I regressed! At the Brown Tool Sale & Auction, I bought an absolute sweet Disston #12panel saw and complete set of cutters for my Craftsman combination plane (already have two complete Stanley 45s, but who knows when
I might need a third combo plane set up?).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-28-2018, 05:14 PM)oarlock Wrote: I guess that the only answer to my dilemma is to make another tool cabinet.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

That's the spirit! 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I think one way to help you help your obsession is to sharpen everything you have.  I know for me, who is a person that doesn't love to sharpen, that the idea of keeping so many tools sharp and ready to use (because there's really no other reason to have them....), results in divestitures versus acquisitions.  I'm beginning to understand the nature of "stuff" and the difference between me owning it, and it owning me.  I have the same relationship with the lawn mower.

Congrats on the finds!
How can your kids ever have a nice auction or garage sale if you don't buy any tools?
(03-28-2018, 05:14 PM)oarlock Wrote: OMG!!!  Right at a hundred bench planes, 2 No. 45's, 2 No. 46's, north of 30 block-planes, a complete set of Veritas miniatures, 20 some wooden planes, scraper planes, circular planes, more stuff and 2 large boxes of cripples. 

Amateur

ha ha ha

Carl