Not exactly my day today
So this morning I was trimming the 2" hard wood edges off some 5 x 7" pieces of plywood.  I mistakenly pushed one of the offcuts forward after it was cut off the plywood.  You remember Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she said "Big mistake."  That thing shot back, banged a couple of knuckles on my hand and then hit me just below the belt - fortunately off center - but it still wasn't pleasant.  I wear a fairly heavy shop apron on purpose, and it didn't leave any more than a welt, but it sure is sore.  Bet it will be blue/green tomorrow.  

OK, later I put a new blade on my bandsaw, a 1" x 1.3 tpi.  A slip of my hand and I ran the back of a knuckle across one of those nice new amazingly sharp teeth; time for a Band Aide.  It wasn't a knuckle that got banged up from the flying offcut; not sure if that was a good or bad thing.  

Late this afternoon I went to pick up 130 bf of ash lumber for my kitchen project.  Forgot my gloves.  You know where this is going.  Yep, ran a nice sliver into another finger.  My hands were cold and I didn't even feel it at first.  The drips of blood on that nice white ash was my clue to look for damage.  Another Band Aide.  

I came home, unloaded the lumber, and decided it would be wise to stay out of the shop for the rest of the day.

I hope you had a more pleasant day.  

John

Oh, I forgot to mention that mid afternoon I wrenched my wrist trying to pull start my neighbor's ATV after I found the battery dead. Never did get it started either.
Sometimes you just need to say it isn't your day and give up, relax, and live to fight another day.
My hands stay tore up. I have a habit of bumping sharp chisels into my fingers and every project gets christened with blood.
(03-28-2018, 06:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: So this morning I was trimming the 2" hard wood edges off some 5 x 7" pieces of plywood.  I mistakenly pushed one of the offcuts forward after it was cut off the plywood.  You remember Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she said "Big mistake."  That thing shot back, banged a couple of knuckles on my hand and then hit me just below the belt - fortunately off center - but it still wasn't pleasant.  I wear a fairly heavy shop apron on purpose, and it didn't leave any more than a welt, but it sure is sore.  Bet it will be blue/green tomorrow.  

OK, later I put a new blade on my bandsaw, a 1" x 1.3 tpi.  A slip of my hand and I ran the back of a knuckle across one of those nice new amazingly sharp teeth; time for a Band Aide.  It wasn't a knuckle that got banged up from the flying offcut; not sure if that was a good or bad thing.  

Late this afternoon I went to pick up 130 bf of ash lumber for my kitchen project.  Forgot my gloves.  You know where this is going.  Yep, ran a nice sliver into another finger.  My hands were cold and I didn't even feel it at first.  The drips of blood on that nice white ash was my clue to look for damage.  Another Band Aide.  

I came home, unloaded the lumber, and decided it would be wise to stay out of the shop for the rest of the day.

I hope you had a more pleasant day.  

John

Oh, I forgot to mention that mid afternoon I wrenched my wrist trying to pull start my neighbor's ATV after I found the battery dead.  Never did get it started either.
At least it is the end of the day

Jay
Wow.

You should take tomorrow off.
Call it a "safety stand down day".

I think we all have days where the circuits are just are not working well, and there's not much one can do about it.
Except ride the day out.
Be good to yourself.
Ag
(03-28-2018, 09:35 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Wow.

You should take tomorrow off.
Call it a "safety stand down day".

Some times you just gotta punt. Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Not nearly as bad but today went south in a few ways here too.  I had a good amount of scabbing on my left hand from an upright sander that managed to get caught on just about every part of a saw I was cleaning up resulting in more bleeding.  Then the wife says the car needs a smog certificate and we call a place to see if they have time so head over.  As we arrive we see a customer behave badly and storm out.  Shortly there after we come to understand why.  I tell the guy to stop touching my car as we are going to leave, he backs it out of the shop I get in to leave try to put the window up and hear the regulator that suddenly turned to trash make some bad sounds.  So I come home order a new one as no one has one in stock.  Then I go out to pull the panel and set the window in place so I can block it closed.  Remember those scabs on my hands?  well I did quick as I am trying to reach into the bottom of the door to unbolt the glass.  So more bleeding and finally the window in place.  Then under the house to make something mill the lumber drill some holes set the template something catches turns the work piece and the template into firewood.  I am thinking going forward need to use the scroll saw instead of a router.  1 3/4" hearts are a bit fragile.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

You can walk, talk, get around- you're still breathing and telling your story. You had a good day!
(03-28-2018, 11:25 PM)daddo Wrote: You can walk, talk, get around- you're still breathing and telling your story. You had a good day!

true enough but some days it is harder to remember
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have those days. My personality type is not one that allows me to quit and come back another day but I really should. Usually it's just typically infuriating stuff (like trying to route an edge in hickory) rather than accidents, but those happen to.

I keep gloves in my truck, on the planer, and on nearly every pegboard in the shop. Don't pick up rough wood without them. Splinters can do permanent damage if they are large enough and get in the wrong place. I managed to have a particularly large hickory shard get very deep in my hand, hitting a nerve (which was extraordinarily painful). The ongoing pain was pretty awful as the doctor thought scar tissue built up around the nerve, making most any hand movement exacerbate it.

It's gotten better, but after seven months I still have hand pain.