Progress
It's been a crazy first month or so back in the wood shop for me. I've focused on making the place livable again, organizing tools, cleaning everything top to bottom and, most dramatically, insulating and finishing the shop walls.

In roughly a month I went from this:
[Image: shop%2Bdirty.jpg]

To this:
[Image: File_000%25283%2529.jpeg]

I still need to finish painting everything (just a bit too cold here for painting at the moment) but I think it is looking great. Everything is accessible on period-correct shelving and racks shamelessly stolen from the Colonial Williamsburg Joiner's Shop. I also added three new lights fitted with 5600K bulbs which basically turn the darkest corners of the shop into bright, lovely lighted work areas. I should have done this years ago.

I need to make a door for the back of the shop (the opening is currently covered with plywood to keep the raccoons out) and complete various little things (including finishing the floor of the attic to expand lumber storage) but, for the most part, the heavy lift is done.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Awesome.  Look forward to seeing your work, and following along.

Have fun.
Hey wait, are those period correct lights? 
Wink
(03-29-2018, 09:38 AM)ZachDillinger Wrote: I need to make a door for the back of the shop (the opening is currently covered with plywood to keep the raccoons out)...
Maybe you should take a different approach, and start a training program for the neighborhood raccoons; teach the little devils how to clean up the shop, and they can start a business doing overnight cleanup for other folks with shops.

Your shop looks great!  Shall I send you my address, so you can keep refining your techniques?
(03-29-2018, 09:38 AM)ZachDillinger Wrote: It's been a crazy first month or so back in the wood shop for me. I've focused on making the place livable again, organizing tools, cleaning everything top to bottom and, most dramatically, insulating and finishing the shop walls.

To this:

I still need to finish painting everything (just a bit too cold here for painting at the moment) but I think it is looking great. Everything is accessible on period-correct shelving and racks shamelessly stolen from the Colonial Williamsburg Joiner's Shop. I also added three new lights fitted with 5600K bulbs which basically turn the darkest corners of the shop into bright, lovely lighted work areas. I should have done this years ago.

I need to make a door for the back of the shop (the opening is currently covered with plywood to keep the raccoons out) and complete various little things (including finishing the floor of the attic to expand lumber storage) but, for the most part, the heavy lift is done.

What an outstanding transformation...!  I don't do it very often but when I do, it feels so good, at least until my next project.  
Big Grin
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
It's particularly impressive to give the period correct bench brush such a prominent location.

I wonder if Colonial Williamsburg joiners would approve of a saw till that would gain a LOT of wall space for additional tools.

Other than that idle question, your efforts are indeed impressive.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(03-29-2018, 01:08 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: It's particularly impressive to give the period correct bench brush such a prominent location.  

I wonder if Colonial Williamsburg joiners would approve of a saw till that would gain a LOT of wall space for additional tools.  

Other than that idle question, your efforts are indeed impressive.

Jim, I'm sure they would but I'm perfectly happy with the saws spread out the way they are. I don't particularly care for tills, just a personal preference. I've got plenty of wall space on the other side and upstairs (the shop is a 12x16 two story timber frame) anyway.

That little bench brush is an inside joke. It appears in most photographs I take for articles, books, etc. It is so perfectly anachronistic.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

(03-29-2018, 09:38 AM)ZachDillinger Wrote: It's been a crazy first month or so back in the wood shop for me. I've focused on making the place livable again, organizing tools, cleaning everything top to bottom and, most dramatically, insulating and finishing the shop walls.

To this:

zach  amazing how much brighter your shop is with a little white paint on the walls. looking forward to your next project.   jerry
So who did the windows? 
Winkgrin
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.