bathroom vent fans
need to replace BR vent fan [I can't find lights for it anymore.....cyberspace, three electric supply houses, manufacturer]

attic space above but getting into it/working in it is a PIA!

don't know if existing fan vents on top or on the side.

model suggestions that might be better for this applications??

any advice greatly appreciated!

TIA
(03-30-2018, 10:02 AM)varkpilot Wrote: need to replace BR vent fan [I can't find lights for it anymore.....cyberspace, three electric supply houses, manufacturer]

TIA

You can probably see if the fan box is mounted from the inside, if so you may be able to remove it from below.  Expect insulation to fall.   What type of lamps can't you get ?   Roly
Bathroom vent fans get rated for quietness or for CFM.  Those concepts are not always mutually agreeable.  You might have to favor one over the other.

Take a look:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bathroom...e&ie=UTF-8

I recall reading about a centralized exhaust fan that would vent all the bathrooms at once.  The fan was mounted remotely and by that fact alone it was very quiet.

There are also continuous venting fans, but I think this is for modern "air tight" homes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-30-2018, 10:02 AM)varkpilot Wrote: need to replace BR vent fan [I can't find lights for it anymore.....cyberspace, three electric supply houses, manufacturer]

TIA

I just installed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBZ...UTF8&psc=1

good mounting system, side vent, not a bad retrofit, took me 30 minutes soup to nuts, quieter than the prior fan, I'm happy.  Panasonic makes a pretty good product.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Can you just replace the light kit on it and leave the existing fan in? I'd rather do the whole thing...but of current fan is good and it is going to be difficult to deal with...may be a possibility?

Was also going to suggest inline fan if you can't get the old one out and new in. You could just leave the empty box there and get a big enough light to cover it???

Maybe slight "hack" fixes...not what I'd prefer...but they will won't create big problems in the future if replacing with a traditional fan is too involved to justify.

TIA

I doubt you have to get  in the attic. Remove the cover, usually a friction fit. Then you will see how the fan itself comes out. The box stores carry these fans. I replaced two fans so far. I made a mistake with the first one, I figured more CFM the better. Fan was too loud for that room. I took it down and replaced it with a fan similar to the original. The large fan was fine for the master bath which was larger than the downstairs powder room I originally had it in.

mike
Here’s the quiet option:https://www.familyhandyman.com/bathroom/exhaust-fan/use-an-in-line-fan-to-vent-two-bathrooms/view-all/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-31-2018, 05:57 PM)Cooler Wrote: Here’s the quiet option:https://www.familyhandyman.com/bathroom/exhaust-fan/use-an-in-line-fan-to-vent-two-bathrooms/view-all/

Generally you don't want a quiet exhaust fan. Exhaust fans serve three purposes. 

1) removal of moisture laden air.

2) removal of noxious gasses

3) adequate sound to cover the production sounds of line #2 which also what causes line #2.

There should be a galaxy wide law that all  bathrooms have good flow and either produce noise or there is music at an adequate volume.

Also a problem with quiet fans is that you forget to turn them off if they aren't humidity controlled.
The problem with #3 is that a loud fan doesn't cover other noises coming out of the room...you just can't hear the gasps or laughs of those outside hearing and responding to the noises you are producing in there. If there is a light on the same switch, you have a good reminder to turn it off. Putting it on a timer is another good option. Humidity sensor won't turn it on to remove noxious gases....
(04-01-2018, 07:54 AM)JosephP Wrote: The problem with #3 is that a loud fan doesn't cover other noises coming out of the room...you just can't hear the gasps or laughs of those outside hearing and responding to the noises you are producing in there.  If there is a light on the same switch, you have a good reminder to turn it off.  Putting it on a timer is another good option.  Humidity sensor won't turn it on to remove noxious gases....

A couresty flush works wonders also.   Roly