Jet Model afs-1000b air filter repair
I have a Jet air filter that starts and then quits after a little while.  Now the time has gotten very short.  Anyways, I looked online and it seems like a lot of times it is a capacitor that fails in the circuit board.  I would like to try replacing that first.  (I am cheap, can't deny that).  

Anyways, I am not an electronics person, but can solder, my problem is where can I order the capacitor?  

Please tell me what I need and where I can order one, no local places that I know of.  My wife just told me there is a "gaming repair store" that I might try.

If someone has replaced this part and can send me the "specs" and or a part number-for a store I would appreciate it. 

Then cross my fingers.

Thanks!
(03-30-2018, 08:50 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I have a Jet air filter that starts and then quits after a little while.  Now the time has gotten very short.  Anyways, I looked online and it seems like a lot of times it is a capacitor that fails in the circuit board.  I would like to try replacing that first.  (I am cheap, can't deny that).  

Anyways, I am not an electronics person, but can solder, my problem is where can I order the capacitor?  

Please tell me what I need and where I can order one, no local places that I know of.  My wife just told me there is a "gaming repair store" that I might try.

If someone has replaced this part and can send me the "specs" and or a part number-for a store I would appreciate it. 

Then cross my fingers.

Thanks!

Same thing just happened to mine a few months back. 

Take the control panel off, 4 screws.....

Look at the top of the capacitors....they should be flat...if any are bulged remove them (apply the soldering iron to the leads till tin is heated up and pull out of the board) The marking specs will be on the side of the cap. I got mine on ebay, for a line of 5 was like $1.50 shipped. I dont recall exactly....it was one of the small black ones....10v2200uf IIRC....but you have to open it up to see yours....

Easy peasy. Shocks me that people buy the replacement boards for north of $100....

If you cant figure it out, post a pic here of the top of the board.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Once you know the value of the cap go to arow.com and order it. I order from them now instead of dig key because their prices are better, faster shipping and much less goofy minimum orders. 
    You can also find them on amazon,ebay and bang good or Ali express but theirs might not be much better than the failed ones as its hit or miss. Also need to know what brand you are ordering as some are very poor quality. But stick with Rubycon (the beat), Chemi-con, Panasonic etc and all is good. But ordering from non electronic supply chains you will often get fakes. Counterfeit electronic components is a huge problem.

Bad capacitors are Tha bane of electronics now right up there with lead free solder. The caps everyone uses are really poor quality. If it's really bad it will puff up or leak. However many just stop working. Electrolytic caps dry out and fail.
(03-31-2018, 04:44 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Once you know the value of the cap go to arow.com and order it. I order from them now instead of dig key because their prices are better, faster shipping and much less goofy minimum orders. 
    You can also find them on amazon,ebay and bang good or Ali express but theirs might not be much better than the failed ones as its hit or miss. Also need to know what brand you are ordering as some are very poor quality. But stick with Rubycon (the beat), Chemi-con, Panasonic etc and all is good. But ordering from non electronic supply chains you will often get fakes. Counterfeit electronic components is a huge problem.

Bad capacitors are Tha bane of electronics now right up there with lead free solder. The caps everyone uses are really poor quality. If it's really bad it will puff up or leak. However many just stop working. Electrolytic caps dry out and fail.

Does this mean anything?

LHK

It has a "slight" dome on it.  Well worth my chance to replace the resistor.  I can post a picture, I am not able to myself, but my wonderful wife can.  

Thanks!
(03-30-2018, 08:50 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I have a Jet air filter that starts and then quits after a little while.  Now the time has gotten very short.  Anyways, I looked online and it seems like a lot of times it is a capacitor that fails in the circuit board.  I would like to try replacing that first.  (I am cheap, can't deny that).  

Then cross my fingers.

Thanks!

I have a similar problem with the same air filtration unit. I took the motor to a repair shop thinking it needed  a capacitor. Capacitor was good, circuit board problem I am told. As far as ordering a capacitor, Walmart carries the same exact one.  The repair shop did not want to work on the unit because of the circuit board.
When I get a chance I will try using a dimmer switch instead of the circuit board. If it works I will be able to turn it on and off, control the speed but not the timer. 
I set it aside for now because I am busy doing other stuff. I will have to figure out which wires to connect to the switch. It has two jacks,2 pin jack and another with 4 pins. I imagine the 2 pin jack is the correct one.
mike
The capacitor we are talking about is the ones on the circuit board not the motor. The electrolytic capacitors most manufacturers use are very poor quality. It's also why most led light bulbs fail. The leds might last but the capacitor used for the capacitive dropper will fail.
(04-01-2018, 03:17 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: The capacitor we are talking about is the ones on the circuit board not the motor. The electrolytic capacitors most manufacturers use are very poor quality. It's also why most led light bulbs fail. The leds might last but the capacitor used for the capacitive dropper will fail.

Thanks Robert, I did not know that the circuit board had a capacitor too. When I get a chance I check it out, might be my problem too.
mike
Timing is everything - mine’s been doing that for a couple weeks and had no idea what to look at. Now I do. Thanks to all.
Our electrical engineers at work often order from https://www.digikey.com/. Not sure how friendly they are to your average joe buying stuff from them.
Thanks for all the help, but I am in over my head. Could someone please let me know exactly what to order and where? I know I am being a pain, but I don't have a technical person to point me in the right direction. Looks like a lot of variables such as volts, micro f, brands?

Just tell me who to contact and what info I should give them, I can handle. I would also do amazon, ebay, etc, but don't want to mess it up.

Thanks