What's a good length for a wooden jointer?
I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?
(04-01-2018, 12:09 PM)overland Wrote: I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?

I think it depends on what you want size (length) boards you want to work with. The longer the sole the more reference length and the greater your ability to maintain a flat surface

For reference:
A No 6 is 18" with a 2 3/8" wide iron 
A No 7 is 22" with a 2 3/8" wide iron 
A No 8 is 24" with a 2 5/8" wide iron

For me my jointer of choice is a refurbished No31 which is 24" long. I find is a TON easier to use than a No8.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(04-01-2018, 12:09 PM)overland Wrote: I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?

I've seen them in the wild from 20" to as long as 28".  Shipwrights tended to use the longer ones, or so I assume, as there's always a ship adze in the same toolbox as the longest ones I've seen........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Stanley jointers were shorter than wooden jointers, probably because of the weight. My favourite woodie is 28" long. Below are three I built, a 36" long jointer (3" wide blade), 28" jointer (2 1/4" blade) and 15" jack ...

[Image: Jointer3.jpg]

As you can see, I favour the razee style.

Regards from Auckland, New Zealand

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Razee is IMHO optimal for a jointer.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis