What type of Concrete?
Hey,

What kind of concrete could I use for filling very small forms (about 4" x 4") with small corners that the concrete would need to get into?

I'm concerned that regular concrete would not work due to the form and corners being too small.

I still want the weight that concrete gives.  I thought a cement would better.

[Image: 17951f23-83b7-4bed-ba2e-c3c412841617.jpg.w480.jpg]
(04-02-2018, 11:03 AM)JKimel Wrote: Hey,

What kind of concrete could I use for filling very small forms (about 4" x 4") with small corners that the concrete would need to get into?

I'm concerned that regular concrete would not work due to the form and corners being too small.

I still want the weight that concrete gives.  I thought a cement would better.

[Image: 17951f23-83b7-4bed-ba2e-c3c412841617.jpg.w480.jpg]

That cement sets up very fast which may be a problem.   What about a Sand/Topping mix,   No large gravel .   Roly
(04-02-2018, 01:56 PM)Roly Wrote: That cement sets up very fast which may be a problem.   What about a Sand/Topping mix,   No large gravel .   Roly

Yea, sand mix!  The topping mix has more cement in it and maybe some bonding agent and Roly is correct!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
What purpose will the final object serve?  Topping cement has a few drawbacks depending on the environment and usage.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Curious as to what you're up to.
I would blend my own sand mix. Its pretty simple. I'd also vibrate the forms with a Random Orbit Sander to setting the concrete into the corners.

I blend my own when I do counter tops. I use a high ratio of cement to sand. For the counter tops, of course, I use wire mesh or rebar (or both) as well.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I was wondering if floor leveling compound would work.    As said, a lot depends on the intended conditions for it to be used in.   Roly
The form looks like 2 pyramids stuck together back to back.  total length is about 5" x 4".  This will see little stresses so I don't think I need r/f.  It's a decorative item so I need the faces to be super smooth.  I've heard the vibrating with a reciprocating saw without the blade works well too.  

The sand topping mixes I see are stated 1.5" max.  So I'm thinking Portland Cement mixed with sand added at a 1:3 ratio?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with this.  I've never used concrete for decorative purposes before.
[Image: 3V20KpjtaNG7jFfinCcpIXwIYJrbIvc9CAvo8lqq...91-h654-no]
Heck, that small, he could put it in a bell jar and get all the air out.
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry