New shop lights
So with the advent of LED 4' tube lights I thought it should be easy to make some light fixtures. So a year or so ago I purchased some tombstone fixtures and they have been sitting around the shop until about a week ago when I thought this could be a good project for my son and I. I found enough 0.5" plywood laying around  to make 3 two light fixtures. I found some 1-2" wide scrap to run the length of the plywood to keep it from warping any more. I had 2 two light 500watt halogen light stands. We glued the hardwood strips to the back of the plywood and used the pneumatic nailer instead of clamps. He likes using the nailer. Then we epoxied the tombstones onto the plywood. I connected the wires to the tombstones and drilled a hole ion the plywood to send the wires to the back. We pulled the halogen lights off and removed the switch boxes. The switch boxes easily screwed toe the plywood and had a hole in the back to feed the wires. Used some plastic strapping to hold the lights on the stands and now I have light in my spray booth. I know my spray booth isn't exactly dust free but a place to contain the dust from overspray.

I'm surprised you didn't paint the backings bright white to get 20-30% more light.
Well done.  You can never have enough light in a spray booth.  

John
I thought about painting them white. There is nothing to keep me from doing it in the future. But the LED lights are not like fluorescent lights as they only project light in one direction.
I was planning on adding LED strip lights (16.4 feet @ $7.00 from Amazon) along the rafters in my basement ceiling.  I can run 5 strips from a single power supply according to one of the questions and answers.  

I have several of these power supplies in the house, so I only need the strips.  If I mount one strip on each rafter, then 5 rafters will cover 8' x 16' of even lighting for a total of $35.00.  I think this will work.  I have a strip light in the house and it is pretty bright.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I see the shadows behind the lights now, didn't know they direct light in one direction. Interesting.
Wink
(04-03-2018, 03:29 PM)daddo Wrote: I'm surprised you didn't paint the backings bright white to get 20-30% more light.

led bulbs only emit light in one direction.  The inside of the back of the bulbs are almost always painted white, but it doesn't really do much.

I have thought of using LED strips in a similar application.  Although a fluorescent bulb might be less work in the end