Seeking advice on buying first lathe
I’m leaning towards the Jet 1221 vs. if history holds up it should go on sale around father’s day.
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.
You might list your general location, in case someone near you has one for sale.
Buying used can be a big savings.
At an estate sale, I saw a huge Oneway lathe for $600.
Must have weighed over 1000#.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(05-20-2018, 10:26 AM)Pirate Wrote: You might list your general location, in case someone near you has one for sale.
Buying used can be a big savings.
At an estate sale, I saw a huge Oneway lathe for $600.
Must have weighed over 1000#.
Very possible. Don't know which "huge Oneway" it was; however, shipping weight on my Oneway2436 with outboard extension was 1200 lbs.
GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(04-08-2018, 10:46 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: +1000 for a local turning club, for mentoring, teaching, recommendations on equipment, etc. I would have been lost for a long time if I had not joined one.  You can learn so much regarding what else you need, what to buy, and what NOT to buy.

Ed

+1 especially the what NOT to buy.

The AAW website has a page for finding the clubs.

There is also the annual AAW symposium and lots of regional turning symposia. Some of the vendors will give you a good discount on a demo lathe so that they do not have to ship them home. I got my PM that way at the Tampa AAW.

I started on a used Jet 1014 with bed extension and stand. It is still going strong and I passed it along to the kids in FL last month.

I got my second lathe (Jet 1642) when the local Woodcraft updated their classroom lathes. It is my workhorse.

You can also get lathes from fellow club members as they upgrade.

Not counting the Atlas lathe or the Shopsmiths, I think that I am down to only 4 lathes in the shop at the moment. They are supported by a couple chainsaws, a decent grinder with Wolverine, and a BS with 12" re-saw for making blanks round.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.