LV Combo or Small Plow
Now that there are a number of user reviews in on the LV combo plane I figured I'd have a better idea which to get - the Combination or the Small Plow. Yeah, I still don't know which one would better suit my needs and I certainly don't need (or want) both.

I have a skew rebate plane, so I've got that use covered.

I know I'll use the plane for:
  • Dados
  • Tongue and groove
  • Beading
I doubt I'd ever use reeding blades for anything (not my look). Fluting blades are a maybe.

I've seen comments about how the LV combo with it's one cutter is the same price as a #45 with all of its cutters, and a full set of LV cutters pushes the total price over $1000. Okay, that's showed us addition still works, but doesn't make a very strong argument. Here's the thing about me - I won't use all the cutters in a complete set any more than I've used every tool in any set I've ever bought (like most people, I think). I'll buy cutters as I need them.

I've also seen the argument that a beading tool or scratch stock can be used instead of beading cutters. That's a fair point. But do they cut as cleanly as a blade in a plane? I've never used one, so I have no idea.

What I'm really questioning is the conversion kit for the small plow. I don't mind swapping blades out - I do it all the time with my Jack and my bevel up planes. I just tweak the settings and go. But I know myself well enough to know that if it's too much of a PITA to switch back and forth I'm likely to leave the conversion kit in place or not use it at all. I finally got tired of swapping out the chamfer attachment on my block plane, so when I got the DX60 block as a gift I left the chamfer guide permanently installed on my low angle block.

While I generally prefer individual tools in my shop, if the combo plane is user friendly and easy to switch between tasks I'll be more inclined to use the available options. If I had all the space and all the money I'd be able to have dedicated planes for everything, but I don't have either and I don't want that many tools anymore, anyway - downsize and simplify.

I'm not al all averse to paying the higher price for the combo if I think I'll enjoy using it and won't be irked by adjusting it. I know I'd be unhappy if the adjustments proved annoying or difficult. Same for the small plow.

So there's my dilemma - which plane, the combo or small plow, am I likely to be happier using? I know no one can answer that question but me, but I'm looking for outside thoughts to help me decide which way to go.
Jason

Jason,
I have the small plow with the conversion done. There is nothing to swap it was a machining operation they did when I sent it in. Once I got it back I just use it. I have been doing beading with it and it works quite well.
BS
Small plow for your uses, with the conversion. For the price difference, you might be able to get a dedicated LN T&G plane, which is the bee's knees.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have the Stanley 45 with the "Basic" set of cutters.   Have used the heck out of it and most of it's cutters.    While not as "gaudy"  as the newer planes, it has worked very well, for me.    Besides, most of the Stanley cutters will work in the newer combo plane.   I do know a fellow that has about...20 of the 45s....able to set up a couple  with different cutters.   Instead of switching out cutters, MOS merely can switch out plane and all.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have the veritas small plow, so keep in mind my view might be skewed to the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I have used the small plow for grooves, rabbets and tongue & groove. I mainly make smaller items like boxes, and I mainly use the small plow for grooves (where the skate is not involved); which is why I have not been able to justify an upgrade to the combo plane.

To answer one part of your question, yes the skate for the small plow is a pain to put on and take off.

So this is how I see things:

======================
* Advantages of the small plow:

- Size - the small plow is smaller, lighter and nimbler (better for small projects).

- Price - cost of entry with minimal number of blades and no skate is less, if you buy more blades and the skate, the price difference is less.

======================
* Advantages of the combo plane:

- Size - the combo plane is larger and heavier (better for larger projects).

- Skate - can be machined to match the main body (I assume it is) which is a subtle advantage in sole like support when it's used (the small plow's skate mainly just holds the wide blades). To go along with this, there is also a difference with how the top of the fence aligns with the skate and blade, between the two planes.

- Nickers - the combo plane has nickers for cross grain dados and rabbets.

- Lefty setup - the combo plane can be better configured for going left hand when the grain requires it.

- More blades - the combo plane has a few more blades available.
(04-06-2018, 10:27 AM)Jason28 Wrote: I've also seen the argument that a beading tool or scratch stock can be used instead of beading cutters. That's a fair point. But do they cut as cleanly as a blade in a plane? I've never used one, so I have no idea.

If you are working wood with reversing grain, you will likely find yourself with more tear out with a plane than with scrapers.

For dadoes, that tear out does not matter as long as you do good prep with a marking knife or use a plane with good knickers.

For beads or other shaped wood removal, that tear out is going to matter. So, you might prefer a combination of one of those planes and a decent scraper beading tool.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It is difficult to answer this kind of question unless you have direct experience with both tools (from LV, not Stanley).  I have owned both tools, but won't go so far as to recommend one over the other, because my needs and budget may differ from yours.  What I do recommend is looking at the capability of the two planes, their cost, and then asking yourself if the difference is of real value to you.  I would bet we all own tools that seemed like a great idea at the time of purchase, that are seldom used.
Very weird. I can't post without it being quoted.

Anyway, I decided to go with the combo plane. I know myself and I think I'll be happier with it versus the small plow. While the price difference is not insignificant for me, given how long I'm likely to have the plane, I'm good with paying the extra money. My girlfriend basically telling me to go with the combo after talking it out with her helped. And as she pointed out to me, this is my hobby and supposed to be enjoyable, so why set myself up with known frustrations? The combo has a learning curve, but really, what doesn't?

I've got tools I thought were great at the time but never use, but the only plane I've gotten like that is my #6.

Yeah, this was a tough question to answer. While none of the replies made me say 'yes, that's the answer', I did get me enough different perspectives to answer my questions for myself and make a decision. Thanks to everyone for the help!
Jason

Wait.... Ur Gf talked you in to buying the bigger more expensive tool?...
(04-13-2018, 05:13 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Wait.... Ur Gf talked you in to buying the bigger more expensive tool?...

It sure looks that way. 
Yes
Peter

My "day job"