PM66 won't start
After changing blade on the 66 today and the saw wouldn't start. The blade made a humming noise and the blade was rocking back and forth. I blow out the mag starter and the motor through the vents on the end cap. Tried to restart but still not working.
I spun the blade with a stick and pressed the on button and it ran very slow and a lot of humming. While I had my hand on the on nutton, I felt a pop coming from the mag starter and it stopped running. Pressed thr reset button on the motor but still no go.
Not to be a smart butt but did you check the breaker after it popped the mag starter?  Might have got the breaker on the way out
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-06-2018, 10:35 PM)00lightning Wrote: After changing blade on the 66 today and the saw wouldn't start.  The blade made a humming noise and the blade was rocking back and forth.  I blow out the mag starter and the motor through the vents on the end cap.   Tried to restart but still not working.
I spun the blade with a stick and pressed the on button and it ran very slow and a lot of humming.  While I had my hand on the on nutton, I felt a pop coming from the mag starter and it stopped running.  Pressed thr reset button on the motor but still no go.

Sounds like the start capacitor let go, or the centrifugal switch is stuck open.  Since it's a totally-enclosed, fan-cooled frame (TEFC), the only openings are into the fan shroud, but behind that it's all enclosed, so a stuck centrifugal switch can't be cleaned from the outside, nor can dust normally get to it.  

The capacitor is easy to get to, as it's just that lump on the outside.  Pop it off and see if there's a mess in there.  The centrifugal switch will require dismantling the motor from the fan end, which is not something to undertake as a first step.

But I'm not clear what reset button you pressed - the TEFC motor on those saws don't have overload protection, as far as I know, and the motor control (starter) provides that protection.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
You might get a wiff of burnt electronics if the Cap blew. I would look at that first.

Just replaced the starting cap on my DC. It was pretty obvious what failed.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(04-06-2018, 10:35 PM)00lightning Wrote: After changing blade on the 66 today and the saw wouldn't start.  The blade made a humming noise and the blade was rocking back and forth.  I blow out the mag starter and the motor through the vents on the end cap.   Tried to restart but still not working.
I spun the blade with a stick and pressed the on button and it ran very slow and a lot of humming.  While I had my hand on the on nutton, I felt a pop coming from the mag starter and it stopped running.  Pressed thr reset button on the motor but still no go.
As stated above, sounds like the capacitor or centrifical switch. 
But read my “An Hour Diversion” post posted here as well. I had a wire broken inside clean, undamaged insulation. Continuity testing is your friend.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Sounds the way my Griz did when the centrifugal switch went out.
Easy to change. Remove the end cover. 2 wires and a set screw. Make a note where it's at on the shaft.
And it could be as easy as the switch is full of dust and is dry, stuck in place. Clean and grease it. Use parafin wax if you have any.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I worked on the PM 66 today and found the apparent problem. One of the soldered posts came off. The part number is EC1216CO6, 226-259 uf, 250 vac. Found one online but the part # was slightly different; EX1216CO6SP. Are they the same? $70 shipped. Thanks for the responses.
What's important electrically is the voltage and capacitance range, and mechanically, the outside dimensions.  

You can probably do much better going to a local motor repair shop for a replacement.  Bring the old one with you, to be sure the cannister size is the same so it fits under the housing.  That sounds pricey for a start cap.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I was also surprised on the price. The capacitor is made by Baldor and shipping is high ($14).
(04-07-2018, 07:54 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Sounds like the start capacitor let go, or the centrifugal switch is stuck open.  Since it's a totally-enclosed, fan-cooled frame (TEFC), the only openings are into the fan shroud, but behind that it's all enclosed, so a stuck centrifugal switch can't be cleaned from the outside, nor can dust normally get to it.  

The capacitor is easy to get to, as it's just that lump on the outside.  Pop it off and see if there's a mess in there.  The centrifugal switch will require dismantling the motor from the fan end, which is not something to undertake as a first step.

But I'm not clear what reset button you pressed - the TEFC motor on those saws don't have overload protection, as far as I know, and the motor control (starter) provides that protection.
"Sounds like the start capacitor let go, or the centrifugal switch is stuck open."..That's what I am thinking also..but more so the centrifugal switch..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset