Electrical - Mud Ring vs. Receptacle Extender
Question:  Under what circumstances would one use a mud ring, and why would one use that instead of, say, a receptacle extender?

Background: I am ripping out some early-1970s-era 5/32" paneling and replacing it with standard 1./2" drywall. I had fully planned on relocating/replacing all the receptacle boxes to bring them flush with the front of where the drywall will be, but I discovered that Home Depot sells these handy "receptacle extenders" which essentially do just that by screwing on to the front of the existing box (they had them in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" widths). But they also sell "mud rings" in the "New Work" area of the plastic receptacle boxes, which look like the receptacle extenders only with a flange.  Why would you use a mud ring instead?  And does the flange go behind the drywall (my assumption), or in front of it?

Thanks.
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.
Mud rings provide support around the perimeter of the box for plaster on lathe, or I suppose, drywall, though I don't think they're normally used for DW and I don't see why you would.  As long as the DW joints land on studs, and the box is on one side of said stud (or in the middle of the sheet, on a stud), it won't need any extra support.

I would just use box extenders, but I'm saying that without seeing the actual work.  I think Herb G and a couple of others who's screen names I can't recall may be able to give more advanced advice on this, though.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Mud rings are the covers for metal boxes that allow you to mount your receptacles or switches. They are installed when the box is mounted before the drywall.  Generally in commercial work and not used much in residential.

You want box extenders.
I hate stuffing wire in a cramped box. Hence, I always use deep 4" boxes.
The mud rings allow me to vary the number of devices. It has come in handy a couple of times when I changed switch types. In one I went from a toggle switch bathroom fan to an electronic timer. Having that extra room made it a pleasure to wire.
You did not say what type boxes were used in the first place. If it is a gem box then a mud ring will not work. If it is a 4" square work box then a mud ring is the way to go. Extension rings are for old work boxes or gem boxes. On a mud ring yes the flange goes behind the sheetrock. I too like deep 4" boxes when working on outlets and switches.
John T.
I used something akin to these.  The Home Depot near me sold them in various thickness but not adjustable.

https://www.garvinindustries.com/covers-...vice-rings
(04-08-2018, 10:34 PM)dgman Wrote: I used something akin to these.  The Home Depot near me sold them in various thickness but not adjustable.

https://www.garvinindustries.com/covers-...vice-rings

Those are mud rings for 4" metal boxes. Mud rings and box extensions are two different animals all together. Extenders are optional for plastic boxes and mud rings are mandatory for metal boxes and must be installed during rough in before drywall. Use the appropriate size for your wall sheathing thickness ie 1/2" drywall you use 1/2". They do go up in price a good bit as they get bigger in size especially when buying 6 gang and bigger ones.