I would like to know about chisels
(04-10-2018, 02:14 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I don't think those all are needed.

I think only a few sizes are needed in each category.  That depends on the preference of the woodworker.

I personally love a 3/8" wide chisel.  My favorite is a 3/8" butt chisel.

A buddy loves a 1/2" wide chisel.  His favorite is a bench chisel.

Some of my chisels are socket chisels.

Frankly if you are buying older tools sockets are preferred.
If you are buying new the design of the chisels on the market today are so solid that I don't give it any thought of how the blade and handle meet.  

My $0.02

Peter

Thank you for all your help.  And everyone else also thank you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I would also recommend at least one wider paring chisel, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". Very useful for all kinds of tasks.

Like Peter, I agree that sets are not necessary. You'll find yourself using 2-3 chisels out of a set and letting the rest languish. The Schwarz recommends getting one really good chisel in a standard size, like a 1/2", and using it as much as you can. Then buy individual chisels in other sizes as you need them. You can mix-and-match different brands all you like.

If I were doing it all over again, here would be my ideal set:

1/8" bench chisel
1/4" bevel-edged paring chisel
1/2" bevel-edged paring chisel
7/8" bench chisel
1 1/4" bevel-edged paring chisel
2" bench chisel

I could do all my chisel work with those chisels, plus a couple of mortise chisels.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(04-11-2018, 09:09 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I would also recommend at least one wider paring chisel, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".  Very useful for all kinds of tasks.

Like Peter, I agree that sets are not necessary.  You'll find yourself using 2-3 chisels out of a set and letting the rest languish.  The Schwarz recommends getting one really good chisel in a standard size, like a 1/2", and using it as much as you can.  Then buy individual chisels in other sizes as you need them.  You can mix-and-match different brands all you like.  

If I were doing it all over again, here would be my ideal set:

1/8" bench chisel
1/4" bevel-edged paring chisel
1/2" bevel-edged paring chisel
7/8" bench chisel
1 1/4" bevel-edged paring chisel
2" bench chisel

I could do all my chisel work with those chisels, plus a couple of mortise chisels.

Yes good advice
Peter

My "day job"
You know.... There has been no mention of carving chisels .... and, knives. Standard furniture chisels are simple compared to those for carving Daffy Duck, or Acanthus leaves.
(04-11-2018, 11:21 PM)hbmcc Wrote: You know.... There has been no mention of carving chisels .... and, knives. Standard furniture chisels are simple compared to those for carving Daffy Duck, or Acanthus leaves.

That is very true.

I'd need someone to educate me about all of that.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-12-2018, 11:41 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: That is very true.

I'd need someone to educate me about all of that.

A friend of mine got several of them from a carver friend of his who just passed away and his wife was selling them and gave them to me.  When he has time he will be teaching me.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

And, I also sent Arlin a few carving chisels..
Cool

And here is a look at the ones I use at the bench..
Yes  

Mortise chisels, bench chisels, sash mortise chisels....have since added a second set ...
Uhoh  

of Aldi's chisels ($7 +tax) that are a bit thicker than the first set
Yes  

Most of these chisels reside in a rack, along the back edge of my bench.. 

The thicker Aldi set is more for chopping tasks.   I usually pare with set #1
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-14-2018, 08:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: And, I also sent Arlin a few carving chisels..
Cool

And here is a look at the ones I use at the bench..
Yes  

Mortise chisels, bench chisels, sash mortise chisels....have since added a second set ...
Uhoh  

of Aldi's chisels ($7 +tax) that are a bit thicker than the first set
Yes  

Most of these chisels reside in a rack, along the back edge of my bench.. 

The thicker Aldi set is more for chopping tasks.   I usually pare with set #1

Bandit

Hugh difference between you and me is you are ALWAYS using hand tools on everything you do. 
Yes   I do some wood turning and want to learn carving to do on bowls and such and learn to do dovetails and mortises.  I am a wisher and you are a doer.
Yes
Yes
Cool