LN Newsletter item.
I am a fan of Lie-Nielsen tools and I noticed something on their web pages that I have never seen before: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/toms...?node=4225
Used (vintage) LN tools?  It further appears that the No. 1 plane may no longer be part of the line offering.  This would follow suit on many other items that have been dropped from the range without advance notice.  I can only guess why. I can only add that there are items I would have bought had I known the end was near (I have one of these already).
Vintage is older not used. Why do you think used?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(04-08-2018, 06:38 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I am a fan of Lie-Nielsen tools and I noticed something on their web pages that I have never seen before: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/toms...?node=4225
Used (vintage) LN tools?  It further appears that the No. 1 plane may no longer be part of the line offering.  This would follow suit on many other items that have been dropped from the range without advance notice.  I can only guess why. I can only add that there are items I would have bought had I known the end was near (I have one of these already).

Weird. Sells for the same price as new but w/o the updates???!!!
(04-08-2018, 07:31 PM)gov.cheese Wrote: Weird. Sells for the same price as new but w/o the updates???!!!

Used meaning to escape European VAT taxes??? Just a guess.
They're used.

From the L-N site:

"Based on the famous Stanley No. 1, this is a vintage Lie-Nielsen Toolworks No. 1 Bench Plane, previously used and in fine, well cared for condition. This plane has the old-style chipbreaker, and an original, unmarked W1 blade. We have made design changes to improve the function of our current No. 1 Bench Planes, but this is an excellent example of the vintage models made over 15 years ago."

I don't get it either.  Buy a new plane or a used one for the same price?

I guess it make sense if you want W-1 or the old-style chipbreaker.  Looks like the shape of the front knob and tote are different as well.  Otherwise, I don't get it.  Are these returns that they refurbished?  CPO Lie-Nielsen?

I look at Tom's Toolbox all the time, but didn't notice this.  I did notice the cambered #5 blade.  Very cool.

Steve
(04-08-2018, 07:51 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: They're used.

From the L-N site:

"Based on the famous Stanley No. 1, this is a vintage Lie-Nielsen Toolworks No. 1 Bench Plane, previously used and in fine, well cared for condition. This plane has the old-style chipbreaker, and an original, unmarked W1 blade. We have made design changes to improve the function of our current No. 1 Bench Planes, but this is an excellent example of the vintage models made over 15 years ago."

I don't get it either.  Buy a new plane or a used one for the same price?

I guess it make sense if you want W-1 or the old-style chipbreaker.  Looks like the shape of the front knob and tote are different as well.  Otherwise, I don't get it.  Are these returns that they refurbished?  CPO Lie-Nielsen?

I look at Tom's Toolbox all the time, but didn't notice this.  I did notice the cambered #5 blade.  Very cool.

Steve

I think it's most likely being offered as a cool collector plane... You know how much Type 1 stanley's in great condition are worth?  

Smile
(04-08-2018, 06:38 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: It further appears that the No. 1 plane may no longer be part of the line offering.  This would follow suit on many other items that have been dropped from the range without advance notice.  I can only guess why. I can only add that there are items I would have bought had I known the end was near (I have one of these already).

The LN No. 1 is still in production. 

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/benc...?node=4065
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-10-2018, 09:13 AM)AHill Wrote: The LN No. 1 is still in production. 

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/benc...?node=4065

Looks like Alan is right about the No.1 still being in the line. Not sure what the significance of this used one is other than historical. I have an early low angle jack that uses a totally different casting than the current one. I bought it for half of the current price. Is it now a vintage artifact? Those older planes have the heavy varnish wood finish.
(04-08-2018, 07:58 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I think it's most likely being offered as a cool collector plane... You know how much Type 1 stanley's in great condition are worth?  

Smile

I have a box of NOS blades for those
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-08-2018, 07:08 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Vintage is older not used. Why do you think used?

Vintage does not imply "not used".  NOS states that a tool is unused.  
 In this case (the LN No.1 listing states that the tool has been used: "previously used and in fine, well cared for condition".   

My start of this thread was to discuss the fact that LN is offering a used tool for sale.  I have not seen this before on their site.  I notice that in this forum's S&S listings, used LN tools do not typically sell for list price.  There are some limited edition LN tools that were sold by other organizations that were at premium prices because of limited production, special engraving,  or non-stock materials.  LN did offer a limited edition premium priced version of their 4-1/2 plane in bronze on a couple of occasions over the years.