Cutting the toe kick off cabinets
I am redoing a rental property that was devastated by a hurricane.  Everything but the flooring has to be replaced.  The flooring is 3 layers of subfloor and 3 layers of flooring with the top layer being tile.  It survived.  I am going back with the same kitchen configuration.  There is an inch deep hole I am going to set the cabinets in.   I am going with off the shelf MDF cabinets from Lowe's.  Can I cut the manufacturers toe kick off the cabinets and build a base to set the cabinets on?  If I build the base then I can easily level it vs trying to level the cabinets in a hole.   Also If I build a base then MDF is not touching the floor.  My concern is making sure the structural integrity of the cabinets will hold the granite counters without collapsing.
My dad cut the toe kick off some old kitchen cabinets I gave him. He has had them in his shop for 15 years, so I'd say yes you can. As long as you aren't cutting the floor out of the cabinets I don't think you are compromising the strength.
(04-09-2018, 11:25 AM)Clyde6n1 Wrote: I am redoing a rental property that was devastated by a hurricane.  Everything but the flooring has to be replaced.  The flooring is 3 layers of subfloor and 3 layers of flooring with the top layer being tile.  It survived.  I am going back with the same kitchen configuration.  There is an inch deep hole I am going to set the cabinets in.   I am going with off the shelf MDF cabinets from Lowe's.  Can I cut the manufacturers toe kick off the cabinets and build a base to set the cabinets on?  If I build the base then I can easily level it vs trying to level the cabinets in a hole.   Also If I build a base then MDF is not touching the floor.  My concern is making sure the structural integrity of the cabinets will hold the granite counters without collapsing.

of course.  I build most of my casework on a separate sub base as it maximizes the sheet good cuts.    When you cut off the sides you might have to staple and glue a bit of plywood to the bottoms to reinforce the cheap fiber board or MDF sides.  Usually there is enough slope in the dimensions to fit this in.
WoodNET... the new safespace
When the 8 ft. pantry unit was installed in out kitchen the toe kick was cut off to get it in. Could not tip it up under 8 ft. ceiling. No problems.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(04-09-2018, 11:25 AM)Clyde6n1 Wrote: I am redoing a rental property that was devastated by a hurricane.  Everything but the flooring has to be replaced.  The flooring is 3 layers of subfloor and 3 layers of flooring with the top layer being tile.  It survived.  I am going back with the same kitchen configuration.  There is an inch deep hole I am going to set the cabinets in.   I am going with off the shelf MDF cabinets from Lowe's.  Can I cut the manufacturers toe kick off the cabinets and build a base to set the cabinets on?  If I build the base then I can easily level it vs trying to level the cabinets in a hole.   Also If I build a base then MDF is not touching the floor.  My concern is making sure the structural integrity of the cabinets will hold the granite counters without collapsing.

3 layers of subfloor?  how are you getting that dry to prevent mildew and mold?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I've seen those from my local Lowes. The sides are vinyl covered particle board (not as strong as MDF ).

There is a lot of information available about the strength of particle board but mostly in shear and bending.  I did not see anything the directly relates to the axial compressive forces (load along the length of a panel, as would be for granite over cabinets.  Someone with engineering background might be able to come up with something from this data:

http://tradeessentials.thelaminexgroup.c...206-15.pdf

An alternative would be to use butcher block.  You can get some very rich looking butcher block, and of course it will be a lot lighter in weight.  Or, more typically Formica.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Why don't you just fill in the 1" deep hole ?   Roly
I'd consider pouring self levelling floor patch in the space and set the cabinets on that after it hardens.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Sure. If that's what you want to do. Normal toekicks (mine) are 4" tall, and you have a 1" deep sinkhole in your kitchen
Laugh , so grab some 2x6's and rip them to 5", stand them up and nail you a framework together and sit and attach in your sinkhole.
Sit the reworked cab boxes on, align, screw together, then put a few screws in the bottoms, down into the newly made framework.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020