#5 1/2 plane
(04-24-2018, 09:14 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I have always preferred 1/2 size planes over their smaller counterparts.  I almost never use a size 4 or 5 plane.  I own older and well tuned Stanley’s in these sizes but my 1/2 sizes are premium planes.  

As far as hard to push....that’s relative.  Of course a sharp iron is the most important factor aside from the physical ability and skill it takes.  Paraffin wax on the sole is a must as well.  That said, I own an 8 but not a 7.  Give me 20 years and maybe my opinions will change.

I find  the use of tools to be a very personal thing.

I've said this before but the more that I use certain hand tools the more I develop preferances.

I use the largest saw that is practical for the job.
I use the smallest and shortest chisel that is practical for the job.
I use the smallest plane that is practical for the job.

I don't own a block plane because I love my an apron plane.

I have the entire set of Veritas Detail Palm Planes and I use them often.

I do use a Jack and Jointer often and my confusion on which width (of the blades) planes to make is because my current jack and jointer (Veritas Bevel Up) both have the same 2 1/4" wide blades.

I knew that I wanted a wider width for jointing but I wasn't sure for a 14" jack.

You are absolutely correct: paraffin wax, a sharp blade, and a lighter cut is very important to make a plane easy/enjoyable to use.
Peter

My "day job"
Hi,

I thought you might like to see this. Very unusual situation re: Stanley 5-1/2...
(05-02-2018, 03:44 PM)Steve Altman Wrote: Hi,

I thought you might like to see this. Very unusual situation re: Stanley 5-1/2...

Very unusual.  I took a peek at the other tools he had listed and thought maybe I should raise my pricing....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis