Hours on a lathe
I need some advice on buying a used lathe. The lathe is a jet 16/42 with approximately 150 hours. In the turning world would that be considered a lot for this lathe ? The lathe looks immaculate but I don't know if that is considered heavy useage, price is $1500
(04-10-2018, 12:38 PM)ccs Wrote: I need some advice on buying a used lathe. The lathe is a jet 16/42 with approximately 150 hours. In the turning world would that be considered a lot for this lathe ? The lathe looks immaculate but I don't know if that is considered heavy useage, price is $1500

what could fail with heavy and long use?  Bearings and the Motor.  150 hours on a motor is not excessive.  Bearings can be replaced.  I'd say your good and if not, $ can fix it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Yea I realize dollars will take care of any issues but at $1500 I feel like that is close to top dollar for this lathe. I just wasn't sure if 150 hours would be considered a lot on a lathe. Thanks for your input.
(04-10-2018, 03:10 PM)ccs Wrote: Yea I realize dollars will take care of any issues but at $1500 I feel like that is close to top dollar for this lathe. I just wasn't sure if 150 hours would be considered a lot on a lathe. Thanks for your input.

If it made a lot of difference, they'd put an hour meter on the beast, like they do on my tractor, which is due for its 1500 hour hydraulic drain and replace as soon as the weather will allow.  It's how those hours were employed that counts. Some people beat stuff to death quickly. I bought the 3000 used, and its first owner never learned how to set the sheaves, so ruined belts, didn't hold the tool to the rest, so dinged it badly ....

BTW https://www.southern-tool.com/store/nova...-lathe.php
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-10-2018, 03:58 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: BTW https://www.southern-tool.com/store/nova...-lathe.php

Oh my!
150 hours isn't even a week in terms of round the clock machinery like ventilation or pump or process equipment, and that stuff will normally run close to rated load.  Lathes spend a lot of time spinning very lightly loaded, or not at all.  

I wouldn't sweat the hours.  Just the market value, and especially the tooling and accessories it comes with, like centers, chucks, tools, rests, etc.  The lathe is only the beginning.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I guess first I should ask is does the lathe come with any chucks or tools or anything else?  If No I thank it is a little on the high side, but if it does come with turning tools I might say yes.  MM has given you a link to a Nova lathe which I hear works really well.

Good luck on the turning and looking forward to seeing what you make.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
No tools of any kind come with the lathe. I have about decided it's a little on high side too.
Thanks for all the replies.

Think I will probably keep looking.
(04-10-2018, 08:04 PM)ccs Wrote: No tools of any kind come with the lathe. I have about decided it's a little on high side too.
Thanks for all the replies.

Think I will probably keep looking.

You just have to realize the seller is just trying to recoop the money he bought it for and does not realize how some tools and equipment depreciate.  It also might have been were he got it at a good price when Powermatic/Jet had the 15% off sale and he is getting about all his money back.

Make him a lower offer of say $1200 to $1275 and see if he will sell it.  It should be good for that price.  Also if it is on the market for several months he may then realize he is charging to much and or gets desperate to sell and will go lower also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.