Give up Wood working?
(04-12-2018, 09:18 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Life changes can be challenging. I grew up using my dad's workshop and have had a few of my own. Sometimes I worked on a porch or in a closet. Heck, I repaired and refinished a piece of furniture while I was living in a DORM. Even now, my workshop is changing as I get older. Instead of just giving up, perhaps now is the time to resize your shop so it better fits your current needs. One of the nicest shops I ever had was in a downstairs 10x12 dining room. I rolled back the carpet, tacked some paneling over the large doorway opening and just set up shop. When I moved out of that house, I spent less than a day returning the room to its former purpose and the carpet guys had the carpet tacked back into place in less than an hour.

Some people turn a bedroom into a home office. And that same bedroom would make a dandy workshop instead. HVAC is in place and there should be a bathroom really close.

I think anyone who is clever enough to solve woodworking challenges is also clever enough to solve a workspace challenge. Ingenuity, compromise and planning will bring you to a solution. Good luck making future shavings.

What he said.
(04-13-2018, 09:33 PM)mvflaim Wrote: What he said.

I have been folllowing every ones comments and ideas on this thread and when I have time this week end I will respond more to your helpful thoughts.  I appreciate every comment and thanks for replying
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Just take up doing relief carving in the living room and you'll soon have her go-ahead to keep woodworking in a garage shop
Winkgrin  
Slap
Put up a relatively cheap car port or pole barn for the car(s)
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Captjack, I've been wood workin' 25+ plus years. I'm self taught. Bought my tools one at a time. Read more books than I care to discuss about wood workin', scroll sawin', finishin', wood, tools, etc. 

I was in the trucking business all my life. It was all I knew. Grew up in it, lived it, breathed it, ate it, & thought it. Up until 2009. My health pulled the rug out from under me & I was forced to retire. I was 46. I'd had 30 years in the pilot seat. But my health was in bad enough shape I couldn't do anything else. We'd already started investing in some wood tools, & had them in our basement in my corner of the house.

I've been off the road 6 years now, & my neighbor was kind enough to rent us their retired beauty shop when I couldn't handle the stairs to shop 3 years ago. I've got 400 sq. ft. of work space. In that work space, I've got every tool we own including 3 scroll saws, 2 lathes, a ts, ras, planer, & all my other toys. 

The reason I made this post is to encourage you to keep on keepin' on! Us ol' wood workers are a diein' breed, my friend!!! 

I'm just recoupin' from 2 heart attacks & a lung embolism in december. I'm finally gettin' back in the shop a few hours a day. I'm 52, captjack, & my wood workin' & scroll sawin' is all I have left to keep me out of the sanitarium! And that was my brides' idea, believe or not!(the wood workin', not the sanitarium.) Keep doin' what makes you happy, Sir! You lose your happiness & spirit, you won't last long. Good luck, Sir!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(04-12-2018, 12:11 AM)captjack Wrote: Love my job also, but certain health issues are getting  the way

Please do not give up, we hall have disabilities and some better or worse then others.  Me the VA told me to get a hobby and so glad I chose woodworking.  It has given me new meaning to life and making things for others and make them happy to.

If you are so bad then become a teacher to help others but never give it all up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jim,

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best!!!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
This discussion has me thinking. It seems at this time in my life I need to identify the things I DON'T want to do and try not to do them anymore. Then stay directed at the things I do like to do and be at peace doing them.
(04-20-2018, 07:57 PM)bandsaw Wrote: This discussion has me thinking. It seems at this time in my life I need to identify the things I DON'T want to do and try not to do them anymore. Then stay directed at the things I do like to do and be at peace doing them.

Yeah, I've been coming around to that way of thinking after some health problems (all is good for now) and now hitting 65....  Example, got a haircut yesterday, the barber asks how I want it cut, I said I've decided that its not worth me thinking about that at all (half of it is gone anyway) so just cut it like you think you should.  She laughed.  Work is ok, but the moment it becomes a PITA I'm outta there, will do something else.  Life is too short.  I've also stopped editing my opinions.  If you ask me what I think, I'll tell you, but it may not be what you are wanting to hear.  My boss is ok with that, for now.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-21-2018, 04:43 PM)Admiral Wrote: Yeah, I've been coming around to that way of thinking after some health problems (all is good for now) and now hitting 65....  Example, got a haircut yesterday, the barber asks how I want it cut, I said I've decided that its not worth me thinking about that at all (half of it is gone anyway) so just cut it like you think you should.  She laughed.  Work is ok, but the moment it becomes a PITA I'm outta there, will do something else.  Life is too short.  I've also stopped editing my opinions.  If you ask me what I think, I'll tell you, but it may not be what you are wanting to hear.  My boss is ok with that, for now.
Yup, just sold my house and moving to Maine so I can build and do what I like. Or not. Will still attempt to make money but more on my terms. Admiral, not sure if I'll be stopping by to see you any more but always enjoyed our visits and you are always welcome at our house in Maine.
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(04-21-2018, 05:12 PM)Boatman53 Wrote: Yup, just sold my house and moving to Maine so I can build and do what I like. Or not. Will still attempt to make money but more on my terms. Admiral, not sure if I'll be stopping by to see you any more but always enjoyed our visits and you are always welcome at our house in Maine.

Ah, Jim, glad your plan is working and its wonderful that its all coming together for you; I'm sure there are plenty of boats in Maine that could use your skills (but only when you feel like working on them!).  Ditto on the visits, haven't been up to Maine lately, but if I do pull the trigger in the next year or so and retire, I will look you up as there's some fishing in Maine that I've not gotten around to doing!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis