Give up Wood working?
Getting ready to retire, 71 now and ready to pull the plug.  Curious if there are any wood netters in the Phoenix area, wife is pushing for a move there but I am resisting.  Im used to a basement shop, and that is rare in Phoenix and garage space is needed to keep cars from sun rot.  I hate to give up wood working but if wive wins out, I will have to sell all my tools and learn to live without the worlds greatest hobby.

Captjack
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
(04-11-2018, 12:24 AM)captjack Wrote: Getting ready to retire, 71 now and ready to pull the plug.  Curious if there are any wood netters in the Phoenix area, wife is pushing for a move there but I am resisting.  Im used to a basement shop, and that is rare in Phoenix and garage space is needed to keep cars from sun rot.  I hate to give up wood working but if wive wins out, I will have to sell all my tools and learn to live without the worlds greatest hobby.

Captjack
Hi,
I live in Peoria which is a suburb of Phoenix. You might look at the Sun City and similar areas. Many have a woodworking and many other community shops which are well equipped.
Ed
Why not find a house in the Phoenix area with a workshop?
I was curious as to how long it would take to find a listing with a workshop, and as I used to live in Phoenix and in the Luke Air Force Base area I can't imagine wanting to retire within the city, but maybe on the outlining area instead. Took me all but 1 min to find one with a workshop on Zillow. Paste this into Google mls# 5709822
Good Luck on your retirement!
Ted

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
Thomas A. Edison
More than just woodworking, a man needs a place to call his own! Ours is a very large home, lived here for over 22 years, but it is my wife's! Everything is her choosing. My refuse is my basement shop. Maybe there are times I don't do anything, but go down there, but it is mine.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-11-2018, 05:43 AM)Tony Z Wrote:   My refuse is my basement shop.   Maybe there are times I don't do anything, but go down there, but it is mine.

Ahem, perhaps refuge??  Although your bride may consider it otherwise.....
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-11-2018, 06:37 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ahem, perhaps refuge??  Although your bride may consider it otherwise.....
Laugh

Freudian slip? 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I just turned 73 on Monday; giving up woodworking would be detrimental to my health and probably my marriage.  The same goes for my wife giving up quilting.

Your situation my be a lot different than mine; I have no other interest other than my church and they sure don't want me hanging around there!

Sounds like you have a very difficult decision to make.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Geesh, my step dad is 94 and still messes around in his shop some. You guys act like your over the hill. I guess you decide for yourself (Mentally) if your old.
What are you going to do- sit in a chair and watch TV for 10-20 years?
Raised

You can always make a bunch of wooden: "Round To Its" and sell'em.

Razzing aside, if you're just not up to it anymore or lost interest, keep at least the bare essentials.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&...k8gcCKzeUs
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Today is my 71st. Just built a new house with 1250 sq ft shop and 600 sq ft quilt studio for her.

And decided not to retire - I like my work too.