Strange color shift on carrera marble
I bought a new tile saw and I wanted to test it out.  So I also bough a couple of carrera  12" x 12" tiles.  I cut these into 5" x 5" squares and mounted four 3M rubber bump-ons to the bottom.  They were to be used for a base for candles so that the table tops would not get too hot when the candle burned low.

My housekeeper dropped one of the glass bottle candles so she placed the waxed portion directly on the marble. It's been there for a couple of weeks.  

The candle is a deep blue.  Now the carrera tile is a tinted blue through and through all the way to the edges.  I am guessing that it absorbed the dye, but how did the color go evenly though the entire piece of marble?

P.S.:  It looks pretty neat though.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-12-2018, 07:44 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought a new tile saw and I wanted to test it out.  So I also bough a couple of carrera  12" x 12" tiles.  I cut these into 5" x 5" squares and mounted four 3M rubber bump-ons to the bottom.  They were to be used for a base for candles so that the table tops would not get too hot when the candle burned low.

My housekeeper dropped one of the glass bottle candles so she placed the waxed portion directly on the marble. It's been there for a couple of weeks.  

The candle is a deep blue.  Now the carrera tile is a tinted blue through and through all the way to the edges.  I am guessing that it absorbed the dye, but how did the color go evenly though the entire piece of marble?

Marble is very absorbant. It's why it looks dirty very quickly even when sealed. The dye that's in the candle is pretty thin and it wouldn't need to totally soak into the marble because marble is slightly translucent.
The color shift is rather dramatic when I hold it next to the the other pieces I pulled from the same piece of floor tile.  I wonder if you can intentionally dye marble.
(04-12-2018, 09:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: The color shift is rather dramatic when I hold it next to the the other pieces I pulled from the same piece of floor tile.  I wonder if you can intentionally dye marble.

I don't see why not. It's full of small cracks kind of like wood in a way. Could make some Interesting stuff with it.

How is the floor coming? I'm 98% done with our kitchen backsplash. The last part is wrapping the herring bone pattern around the drywall returns to the window. I really shouldn't have shown her the herringbone option as it takes 5x as long...
As stated above, marble absorbs everything. I've got new marble counter tops in the master bath. A ring where a wet glass set, soap stains. I'm done with marble. Granite in the kitchen and hall baths, looks as good today as the day installed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-12-2018, 11:28 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: I don't see why not. It's full of small cracks kind of like wood in a way. Could make some Interesting stuff with it.

How is the floor coming? I'm 98% done with our kitchen backsplash. The last part is wrapping the herring bone pattern around the drywall returns to the window. I really shouldn't have shown her the herringbone option as it takes 5x as long...
I cut my hand (kick back) and I took 8 stitches.   So  I lost 3 weeks.  I am going to finish prepping the floor this weekend.  All the tiles are out but there are a few divots and some bits of tile standing proud of the floor.  I may resort to using a leveling cement.  I'll see how it goes.
(04-12-2018, 07:44 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought a new tile saw and I wanted to test it out.  So I also bough a couple of carrera  12" x 12" tiles.  I cut these into 5" x 5" squares and mounted four 3M rubber bump-ons to the bottom.  They were to be used for a base for candles so that the table tops would not get too hot when the candle burned low.

I was the owner/operator of a marble and granite shop for several years.  White Carrera is a very porous marble, it will absorb colors rapidly if not sealed.  The real problem is that once stained, it is almost impossible to remove the color. ( I found this out by marking on the back of a windowsill I was repolishing.  As soon as the water from the polisher hit the color, it went through the piece)  And, most of the white marbles, Carrera, Naxos, and any of the quartz tiles can take stain.  Naxos marble from Greese, can be stained just about any color.
Non Carborundum Illigitimus
(04-12-2018, 03:56 PM)Bald Trace Wrote: I was the owner/operator of a marble and granite shop for several years.  White Carrera is a very porous marble, it will absorb colors rapidly if not sealed.  The real problem is that once stained, it is almost impossible to remove the color. ( I found this out by marking on the back of a windowsill I was repolishing.  As soon as the water from the polisher hit the color, it went through the piece)  And, most of the white marbles, Carrera, Naxos, and any of the quartz tiles can take stain.  Naxos marble from Greese, can be stained just about any color.

So I can buy some RIT dye and color any marble tile?  And the color is permanent?

What is remarkable to me is that the candle (about 4" in diameter) was just resting on the tile.  None of the wax had melted onto it.  The color from the candle does not rub off on my hands or even on a piece of paper.  And yet the marble not only absorbed the color, it distributed it evenly from edge to edge.  It had to be sucking up the color from the candle like a leech sucks up blood.  

It does seem to defy common sense.  But yet there it is right before my eyes.  Cool.
(04-12-2018, 03:03 PM)Cooler Wrote: I cut my hand (kick back) and I took 8 stitches.   So  I lost 3 weeks.  I am going to finish prepping the floor this weekend.  All the tiles are out but there are a few divots and some bits of tile standing proud of the floor.  I may resort to using a leveling cement.  I'll see how it goes.

A 4 inch harbor freight diamond cup wheel will make short work of thin set and the like.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
There is a Harbor Freight 4 miles from my House. I will stop by later today. Thanks.