lathe into a disk sander
  Re: lathe into a disk sander by Peter Tremblay (Hello all, I am m...)
Three layers of 1x12 pine glued up is three directions to eliminate stress or shifting.  So I guess it would be 12 o clock 3 o clock and the 4:30 o clock positions.  The thickness helps keep it stable also.
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.  
  Re: RE: lathe into a disk sander by Arlin Eastman (Three layers of 1x12...)
(04-17-2018, 12:45 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Three layers of 1x12 pine glued up is three directions to eliminate stress or shifting.  So I guess it would be 12 o clock 3 o clock and the 4:30 o clock positions.  The thickness helps keep it stable also.

Did you finish the wood with anything to keep the PSA paper from ripping up the grain when removed?
Peter

My "day job"
Three coats of shellac and it sticks pretty good but also comes off when needed.
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.  
One of the reasons I kept an old 10er Shop Smith was for the 12" disc sander.
I like having a miter slot. Use the miter gauge, and sand at 0 deg. or other angles.
Nice feature is, the disc can be moved. Think horizontal drill press.
With a quill stop set, you can use it to sand to a set length or width.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer