dowels
(04-14-2018, 07:10 AM)Cooler Wrote: There is a video comparing the Triton to the Mafell. Watching the video killed the Triton for me.  It is a You Tube video and easy to find.

There is just one greedy distributor for all of North America.  I thought of bringing one in from England, but when I saw it was 220 volt.  So no go.

For those interested, go back to my posts to watch 3 of the 4 videos mentioned above which are on YouTube - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I've lost count of the number of dowel joints I've seen coming apart over the years. To be fair, most of the failed dowel joints I've seen are on things like chair legs and table legs, which are subject to a lot of racking over the years. Not knocking dowels themselves--just the designers who use them inappropriately. In sheet goods, dowels make a lot of sense, and it makes sense that they hold better than a lot of screws do.

Problems arise, though, when dowels are used in solid wood. They provide precious little glue surface when inserted perpendicular to the grain. They hold up great when inserted into end-grain, however. I almost never find a dowel pulled out of end-grain. But dowels pull out of long-grain all too frequently for me to consider using them for anything other than occasionally aligning pieces that will not be subjected to stresses over the life of the piece.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I ended up buying a "Joint Genie".  It shipped from England.  I will report when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fIrMNPwqk
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-23-2018, 07:26 AM)Cooler Wrote: I ended up buying a "Joint Genie".  It shipped from England.  I will report when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fIrMNPwqk

Hi Cooler - never heard of the Joint Genie but viewed the video and am impressed, especially like the registering tab - priced the 1/4" set shown below which is reasonable - $23 shipping to USA - would be curious for those reading this post, what is the difference in the shipping choices in the second pic? - hate to have to signed because wife and I are often away on short trips this time of year.  Thanks.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I felt safe ordering it because I was able to order it through Amazon.com.

I have a self-centering Dowel-it, but I have to move it for each hole.  And it does not provide for mounting on the flat surface, just edges up to about 3" wide.

This one allows you to dowel a shelf anywhere you want it along an upright.  It is made from case-hardened steel (the outer surface is file-hard, but below the surface it remains ductile.

It should be very durable.

I is nickel plated.  Nickel is a very soft finish and it will wear off on the interior of the bushing area.  So oil it if you are putting it in storage.  

Nickel is the best plating for "reaching" into interiors of barrels.  Zinc or Chrome would not reach in at all.  (The plating term for this is "throw".)

It is not entirely intuitive by looking at the fixture.  I looked at the fixture and said to myself, "How does this work?"

I watched the video and it was "ah, ha!  Piece of cake!"

For my Dowel-it, It was mark, clamp, drill.  Mark, clamp, drill.  

With this it is, Clamp, drill, drill, drill, drill, drill.  It seems vastly more efficient.

I will write a report once I've tried it.

I ordered the  3/8" set with the long and short rail.
I ordered this fixture from England via Amazon.com.  They sent an email that the product was shipped the same day as the order was received.

The Post Office left a note that my registered package has arrived.  Just one week for delivery, though I cannot get to the post office until Saturday.
Just curious if you had a chance to try it out and how you like it.
I have it.  It is beautifully machined and is carbonitrided (heat treated to file hardness).  I checked the fit on the drill bit and all is good.  I have so many projects that demand I work outdoors that only when it rains do I have time to work on cabinets (until the fall anyway).  

I will make a test this weekend anyway.  I think it is going to rain.  I have tile to set (indoors) but that is just a few hours.  I will test out a sample and report.  

I got faster delivery from England than I've gotten from Woodpeckers.  (They shiipped the same day by airmail).
(05-17-2018, 02:51 PM)stav Wrote: Just curious if you had a chance to try it out and how you like it.

(05-17-2018, 03:53 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have it.  It is beautifully machined and is carbonitrided (heat treated to file hardness).  I checked the fit on the drill bit and all is good.  I have so many projects that demand I work outdoors that only when it rains do I have time to work on cabinets (until the fall anyway).  

I will make a test this weekend anyway.  I think it is going to rain.  I have tile to set (indoors) but that is just a few hours.  I will test out a sample and report.  

I got faster delivery from England than I've gotten from Woodpeckers.  (They shiipped the same day by airmail).

My 1/4" model has also arrived safely and agree w/ Cooler's comments on its appearance - comes in a convenient plastic case - but still reorganizing my basement shop, making some jigs, and upgrading/donating tools - BUT, about to start on some side tables for a bedroom that we're converting back to its original purchase (use to be our son's BR but became a 'utility room') - will bring the legs and rails together w/ dowels and try out the new jig.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-13-2018, 01:26 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have recently renewed my interest in dowels.  For a long time I was under the impression that dowels were stronger than biscuits, but not a good as almost any other type of joint....
When it comes to Dowels, nothing beats Dowelmax. One of the best jigs I have ever bought. Check it out at https://www.dowelmax.com/