Nova Galaxi DVR 1644
Dear fellow woodturners,

I have just sold my first lathe, a midi size, and decided to move on to what I would like to be my last lathe for my fortieth anniversary. I am currently looking at the Nova Galaxi DVR 1644. It is about 460 lbs, 44 inches between centers, 16 in. swing, capacity of 29 in. with outrigger attachment, and the latest update in motor technology for Nova. Does anyone here own one, or has anyone tried one? Any feedback would be appreciated before I pull out the $$$.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick
I've talked to a couple new owners over on the Teknatool Owners FaceBook group.
They are generally impressed, more pre-programed speed ranges, the speed knob,  heavier weighs then the old lathe.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I am thinking someone bought one here.  Hope he chimes in.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for the information N7bsn,

I have just sent a request to join the Owners page on Facebook. I know somoene here said he had recently bought one. I will try to locate him. Meanwhile, any extra information is more than welcome.

Sincerely,

Patrick
(04-17-2018, 04:36 AM)pat28 Wrote: Thanks for the information N7bsn,

I have just sent a request to join the Owners page on Facebook. I know somoene here said he had recently bought one. I will try to locate him. Meanwhile, any extra information is more than welcome.

Sincerely,

Patrick

... and  I approved you and you've asked the question there.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I've had a Galaxi 1644 for about a year and love it. It's heavy enough to stay put if I start out with an unbalanced rough piece. One thing I really liked when I started using it was that if I had a catch, the motor unpowered itself for a moment, letting me get my tool clear. I've since learned better tool control and that doesn't happen now.

I haven't used the 44" length yet but I have used the swiveling headstock, the 16" diameter swing, reverse rotation, and the 100 rpm low end. I would buy it again.

When you buy this lathe, figure in the fact that it comes with a live center and a 4 fluke drive center but no scroll chuck. I had a Super Nova 2 chuck on my Shopsmith so I got another one for the Galaxi, along with a few other jaw sets. BE HEREBY WARNED that you can get really accustomed to having multiple chucks rather than just having multiple jaw sets and have to keep switching them. This is probably a glaring example of a first world problem but I don't care. I just enjoy having them both. Three would be better.

Here is a photo of my biggest piece so far, at 15-3/4" diameter and 36" tall (or should that be long") as I was starting to finish it. I had to grind off the points of the largest ring to get it to fit.

Does this help?

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
You didn't give your location but you're welcome to stop by and play with it if you're interested.
This is one nice vase! Yep, I have seen the risk of doubling chucks. I had two scroll chucks on my former midi lathe. One was just compatible with that machine, so I let it go with it when I sold the machine. The other is a Oneway Talon for which I bought all the jaws. I ordered the insert to make it match with the Galaxi. I was hoping to stick with my regular projects for a while on the new lathe so as to get used to it, and then to buy a larger chuck. Should I go for Oneway or Nova as regards a larger chuck?

Patrick
(04-17-2018, 07:53 PM)pat28 Wrote: The other is a Oneway Talon for which I bought all the jaws. I ordered the insert to make it match with the Galaxi. I was hoping to stick with my regular projects for a while on the new lathe so as to get used to it, and then to buy a larger chuck. Should I go for Oneway or Nova as regards a larger chuck?

Patrick

If you don't hate the Talon, I would get another one (or 2) to stay compatible. Personally I've only used the SN2 on wood lathes so I don't know. 49 years on a metal lathe don't count, of course.
(04-17-2018, 08:36 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: If you don't hate the Talon, I would get another one (or 2) to stay compatible.  Personally I've only used the SN2 on wood lathes so I don't know.  49 years on a metal lathe don't count, of course.

Oneway is righty-tighty on a spigot, I believe.  Nova is righty on a mortise. 

It took me almost six months to get used to a right-hand thread on my left tilt Unisaw, so I imagine I would never be able to cope....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.