I thought this year maybe we could exchange
Count me in. I just built a stand built a built a lathe. Time to put it to use again.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-23-2018, 06:38 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Count me in.  I just built a stand built a built a lathe.  Time to put it to use again.

Hi Brad

Long time no see here in turning.  How is school and taking care of the little one going for you?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Life is good. Crazy busy with after school activities for my girls but I'm finding time in the shop. Lathe isn't set up yet, but I have flat work going on--two cradles, some knicknack shelving, and bandsaw boxes under way. Also building cabinets to help set up and arrange my shop. Been in the new house a year now.

Still have to add drawers to the stand.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(04-22-2018, 10:13 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Maybe we should define "Christmas Ornament"

To me it is anything that will hang on a tree.

1. Any shape of roundness can be oblong or sphere or tear drop like
2. Snowman
3. Angle
4. Santa Claws
5. Bells
6. Elves, or Mrs. Claws Mrs. Snowman or other helpers
7. I think even a cool Bird House will fit since birds have resided in them
8. Christmas Tree topper
9. Inside Out turning
10. Christmas Tree
11. Or ...

I am thinking it should be Christmas Themed

What do you guys think?

Christmas themed is good.

I was lucky enough to get some of the scroll sawn ornaments in this past WN auction. They are beautiful. I would be as thrilled to receive another one in this exchange as I would a turned one.

To your list, you can add:
a) acorn bird houses
b) icicles
c) ornaments that look like the old-fashioned screw-in Christmas light bulbs

Back when the local CHKD had groups decorate Christmas trees to auction off as a fund raiser, I even added a couple of nice bottle stoppers fancied up with ribbons to increase the ornament count. I think that that might be out of scope for this, though, unless somone comes up with a Christmas theme stopper. JMHO

There is a weight limit suggested by someone (AAW??) as a maximum for Christmas tree ornaments, but I do not recall what it is. I weighed a couple of my early ornaments and they were definitely under the weight limit, so I quit worrying about it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-25-2018, 08:08 PM)iclark Wrote: Christmas themed is good.

I was lucky enough to get some of the scroll sawn ornaments in this past WN auction. They are beautiful. I would be as thrilled to receive another one in this exchange as I would a turned one.

To your list, you can add:
a) acorn bird houses
b) icicles
c) ornaments that look like the old-fashioned screw-in Christmas light bulbs

Back when the local CHKD had groups decorate Christmas trees to auction off as a fund raiser, I even added a couple of nice bottle stoppers fancied up with ribbons to increase the ornament count. I think that that might be out of scope for this, though, unless somone comes up with a Christmas theme stopper.  JMHO

There is a weight limit suggested by someone (AAW??) as a maximum for Christmas tree ornaments, but I do not recall what it is. I weighed a couple of my early ornaments and they were definitely under the weight limit, so I quit worrying about it.

Thanks Ivan

I am pretty sure the weight is 2.25oz, but to me just as long as it will hang on a tree and not break or bend the branch over it is good.  I know bigger branches like on the bottom 1/3 of the tree will hold 3 to 4 oz but I do not thing much more then that.

I will add your suggestions to the list.

Also I helped an old turner start in cleaning his shop and it is a very narrow one foot path.  I seen his Christmas bulb and asked him if I could borrow it and he said yes.  It is about an inch long with a yellow heart bottom to look like a brass bulb and he put 3 groves to look like it could screw into a socket.  It was really nice looking.

I am wondering how it might look in acrylics of a nice blue, or green, or purple or other colors with a yellow bottom?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

OK

I think it will be good to start 1 Sept so we have a few months to make one or two ornaments.

I am working on the software they use for the Tool swap in Hand tools every year and trying to get it to work right.

When I do I will have everyone to fill out the form.

Put me down for a definite maybe. I'll make the call later in the year.
(08-17-2018, 01:07 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Put me down for a definite maybe.  I'll make the call later in the year.

OK

I will be taking names 1 Sept until 21 Sept and then hope all the names go out by 1 Oct.  That will give everyone 45 days to get them done and shipped.

Count me as a maybe.  It sounds like fun.  I'm making one.  It just depends on how it turns out whether I'll be comfortable swapping or not.
Smile
Rodney
(08-20-2018, 02:00 PM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: Count me as a maybe.  It sounds like fun.  I'm making one.  It just depends on how it turns out whether I'll be comfortable swapping or not.
Smile
Rodney

Rodney

Lots of different ornaments.  Snowmen, icicles, bells, angels, so so many things.