Wodturners near Wylie, TX?
Anybody near Wylie? My nephew is getting into turning. He has a Jet Mini, and I am giving him a Rockwell 46-200 (old but rugged).
He is also the Wylie Chief of Police, so if you get stopped in Wylie, mention my name and he promised me that he would see that you get one free phone call.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
It looks like the closest AAW chapter is in Dallas.

http://www.woodturner.org/members/?id=23094037

The contact information for the chapter president is on that link.
If he is close to Dallas I would definitely recommend that he go to a meeting and check it out.
While this relates to the subject not at all, I spent eight months in Wylie in the spring of 2015. It wasn't the largest hail I've ever seen, but it was the largest for the length of time it fell. People hiding in their kitchen cabinets as hail came clean through the roof decking. I imagine it was a busy time for your nephew as well.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I"ll pass that information on. He and his family are coming up next weekend to get the Rockwell lathe. The man who got me started and taught me everything I know, unfortunately, passed away a year and a half ago. He was my brother, from Carrollton - not far from Wylie.

GM
Would some please post a diagram or provide a link on how to set up a jackshaft. I bought a and old Delta lathe some time back at auction ($35.00 - couldn't pass it up) that included a jackshaft. I gave the lathe to another nephew last year but kept the jackshaft. I'm going to give it to this nephew if he wants it. It will allow him to slow down the four-step lathe if he so desires. I never set the jackshaft up so I'm a bit in the dark. Not too difficult, I know, but when you are old. And slow.
And an Indian...

GM
(04-21-2018, 05:34 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Would some please post a diagram or provide a link on how to set up a jackshaft.  I bought a and old Delta lathe some time back at auction ($35.00 - couldn't pass it up) that included a jackshaft.  I gave the lathe to another nephew last year but kept the jackshaft.  I'm going to give it to this nephew if he wants it.  It will allow him to slow down the four-step lathe if he so desires.  I never set the jackshaft up so I'm a bit in the dark.  Not too difficult, I know, but when you are old.  And slow.
And an Indian...

GM

I have never set up a jackshaft but I think that they will vary a lot in how they are mounted.

If I understand correctly, you will need to turn the drive motor around in order for the lathe spindle to go in the correct direction.

The shieve pairs between the spindle and jack shaft and between the jackshaft and the motor need to line up in each pair. That usually means that the number of belt slots for each pair need to match.

There also has to be some way to tension and loosen the 2 pairs of belts.

If the 2 shieves on the jackshaft match each other but not the existing lathe shieves, then you can rearrange them so that you have belts running between 2 matched sets.

If you post a picture of the lathe and stand that you are adding the jackshaft to and a pic of the jackshaft, then people here who are better than me can give you more specific advice.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

Here is an example of a jackshaft on an older Delta borrowed from LJ. I am not seeing how the jackshaft to spindle belt is loosened to change speed.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks. I'll pass this on to my nephew. He is coming up this weekend to get the lathe. He may not want to set it up with the jackshaft, but it's available if he wants to do it that way.

GM
(04-17-2018, 06:30 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Anybody near Wylie?  My nephew is getting into turning.  He has a Jet Mini, and I am giving him a Rockwell 46-200 (old but rugged).  
He is also the Wylie Chief of Police, so if you get stopped in Wylie, mention my name and he promised me that he would see that you get one free phone call.

GM

GM,

My name is Tod Raines and I live in Allen, TX - next door to Wylie.
I don't post on the forum very often but I do visit quite a bit. 

I am the treasurer of the Dallas Area Woodturners (http://www.dallaswoodturners.com/).
We meet the third Thursday of every month (except December) at 7 PM, at WoodWorld, 13650 TI Blvd, Dallas, TX, 75243 (corner of TI Blvd and S Sherman St in Dallas, TX).

It would be good to see him at this month's meeting. The May meeting is on Thursday May 17th. We will be doing a round robin type of demo this month. There will be four mini demos each lasting about 20 minutes. I will be demoing different work holding methods, second station is pen kits, third station is sharpening and forth should be captive rings.. They will be repeated four times so that everybody can see all of them if they wish. We usually do one of these types once a year, otherwise the format is a hour long demo from a club member, regional or national demonstrator.

Regards,
Tod
Regards, Tod
Thanks for the info. Anthony has only been turning a few months on a Jet Mini that belonged to his grandfather - my brother. We didn't have a lot of teaching time; however, I showed him a few things. I also gave him some good chisels to practice sharpening skills on - cheapo set that I picked up somewhere. I told him about the turner's club in the Dallas area so he maybe showing up. I'll pass on the above information.

Lonnie