Cordless Trim Routers - Few Choices & Powerful Enough?
(04-21-2018, 07:10 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I would have my doubts about the 12 volt one having much oomph. Porter Cable had a 19.2 volt cordless that never caught on. Batteries are better these days so maybe.

Hi Kurt - I agree about reservations on a 12V battery running a router - I have 2 of those batteries and they are small - I've been on the Bosch website recently looking for an update on their June 1 release - cannot locate a link there?  Has Bosch changed their mind?

The Makita is still of interest, however, I would have to buy into their 'battery system' - expensive - plus, most of the Makita tools that would run from their 18V batteries are ones that I already own as Bosch 18V tools, so the Makita is not an option for me.  Thanks for the input.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I just began switching to the 12v Bosch Line, so the new Router is of interest to me.

I have had the Ryobi 18v trim Router for at least a decade. For trim router work, it is fantastic. In a full time cabinet shop, the cord is important, but working by myself, and filming as I go, it is great for the odd quick trim work. 

In other words, I think the concept of a battery trim router is a useful one.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
In Home Depot last week I noticed a Ridgid cordless trim router on display.
Did not stop to look, but it looked like it took the 18v battery.
Worth considering.
Ag
(04-21-2018, 07:51 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Kurt - I agree about reservations on a 12V battery running a router - I have 2 of those batteries and they are small - I've been on the Bosch website recently looking for an update on their June 1 release - cannot locate a link there?  Has Bosch changed their mind?

The Makita is still of interest, however, I would have to buy into their 'battery system' - expensive - plus, most of the Makita tools that would run from their 18V batteries are ones that I already own as Bosch 18V tools, so the Makita is not an option for me.  Thanks for the input.  Dave
Smile

(04-21-2018, 08:07 PM)AgGEM Wrote: In Home Depot last week I noticed a Ridgid cordless trim router on display.
Did not stop to look, but it looked like it took the 18v battery.
Worth considering.
Ag

Well, like I said above in my previous post on the Makita cordless router - you need to buy into another battery system, and expensive option unless you need or want the other tools in that brand that run w/ the same batteries - for me, I'm stuck w/ Bosch 12V & 18V - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I'd suspect that 3 to 5 years out, "they," won't support new replacement batteries for your favorite toy tool, and if they do, the "new" replacements will most likely be "well aged".  

Then, you are faced with the prospect of buying those tools all over again.   All that, just to avoid plugging something in when you need to use it.   Not good economics, I think.

Far and away, the vast majority of hobbyists will never wear out a power tool, so why buy one thats guaranteed to cost significant money down the road?
I have the Ridgid cordless trim router. It has become my most used router. More power than I expected and just handy not messing with a cord. They took the regular trim router and adapted it to run on 18v and a top battery mount. It's not for heavy cuts but for allot of the stuff in the shop it works great.

I am mainly invested in the Milwaukee m12 system but for my 18v stuff I have Ridgid stuff. I got a great deal on a bosch 18v drill and driver combo. Used it around the house a little bit then put it back in the shop where it sits waiting to see if a friend wants to buy it. The handle grips put too much force into your hand because they are narrow. OK for home use but wouldn't use it on the job.
(04-22-2018, 08:15 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: I'd suspect that 3 to 5 years out, "they," won't support new replacement batteries for your favorite toy tool, and if they do, the "new" replacements will most likely be "well aged".  

Then, you are faced with the prospect of buying those tools all over again.   All that, just to avoid plugging something in when you need to use it.   Not good economics, I think.

Far and away, the vast majority of hobbyists will never wear out a power tool, so why buy one thats guaranteed to cost significant money down the road?

By that logic, you should never own any cordless tool, much less computer.

And history teaches otherwise. I have Ryobi 18v battery tools (including the trim router) that are well over a decade old, were NCad to begin with and are still compatible with the new Lithium batteries. Not all manufacturers will or do, but Ryobi specifically transitioned into Lithium without making existing tools obsolete. The NiCad batteries can even be charged in the Lithium charger.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
IMO, the convience of cordless outweighs the obsolense. I'll carry an extra battery over a generator any day.

Pretty sure the current generations from all mfgrs will be around for many more years.

Last but not least, if you haven't tried brushless tools, you don't know what your missing.

Ed
(04-22-2018, 08:15 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: I'd suspect that 3 to 5 years out, "they," won't support new replacement batteries for your favorite toy tool, and if they do, the "new" replacements will most likely be "well aged".  

(04-22-2018, 12:41 PM)handi Wrote: By that logic, you should never own any cordless tool, much less computer.

And history teaches otherwise. I have Ryobi 18v battery tools (including the trim router) that are well over a decade old, were NCad to begin with and are still compatible with the new Lithium batteries. Not all manufacturers will or do, but Ryobi specifically transitioned into Lithium without making existing tools obsolete. The NiCad batteries can even be charged in the Lithium charger.

Boy, I'd have to agree w/ Handi - I've been using cordless tools for years and hated the old style batteries (always lost their charges w/ my intermittent use), BUT the Li-Ion batteries are a blessing for me, powerful, smaller, less weighty, and charge seems to last a 'long' time.  I cannot imagine that Bosch, as just one example, would abandon its 18V technology and tools in the near future (I'm now in my early 70s and have no idea how much more woodworking that I'll be able to do?).

Now, as to a 12V cordless router, power might be an issue and could Bosch stop supporting those batteries & tools?  Amazon still lists a June 1 release date for this tool, but I no longer see it listed on the Bosch Website - curious if the Europeans have already given up on it?  Is Bosch planning to develop and introduce an 18V larger version?  At any rate, next time I'm in Home Depot, might look at the cordless routers there, i.e. Rigid and Ryobi - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-23-2018, 09:53 AM)giradman Wrote: Boy, I'd have to agree w/ Handi - I've been using cordless tools for years and hated the old style batteries (always lost their charges w/ my intermittent use), BUT the Li-Ion batteries are a blessing for me, powerful, smaller, less weighty, and charge seems to last a 'long' time.  I cannot imagine that Bosch, as just one example, would abandon its 18V technology and tools in the near future (I'm now in my early 70s and have no idea how much more woodworking that I'll be able to do?).

Now, as to a 12V cordless router, power might be an issue and could Bosch stop supporting those batteries & tools?  Amazon still lists a June 1 release date for this tool, but I no longer see it listed on the Bosch Website - curious if the Europeans have already given up on it?  Is Bosch planning to develop and introduce an 18V larger version?  At any rate, next time I'm in Home Depot, might look at the cordless routers there, i.e. Rigid and Ryobi - Dave
Smile

I don't see them changing attachment style any time soon and the Milwaukee rep said they were sticking with it. He also said they really didn't want to go away from the nicad style attachment either hence why they made lithium battery tools on the same platform but due to future needs they had to change. 
         Ryobi is the oldest holdout and unfortunately will not go away from their clip in batteries but I will say theirs don't fall out of the tools like the default ones did. 

Who knows about bosch changing their 12v battery since some of their tools are the same tools as milwaukee ie their sawsall and their batteries are made by milwaukee as are many other 12v brands with the similar battery. 

And if you have ryobi stuff the new trim router from ryobi is the same as the Ridgid just with some minor features missing but a much better price.