Cordless Trim Routers - Few Choices & Powerful Enough?
I wandered over to Home Depot yesterday and looked at 3 different cordless routers.

Ryobi was my first look, seemed to have everything one would need for a small cordless router. Router is $70 plus the battery and charger which got me a little confused as to how to make that purchase as all I could find were separate batteries and chargers for sale pushing the purchase price to around $170??   

Ridged had the same features as the Ryobi at $120.  Again purchasing batteries and a charger pushes this into the $200 range.  However, it appears you can purchase this same router on-line WITH one battery and charger for $130.

Makita also was on display, I was surprised and a little disappointing by the Makita.  No fine depth adjustment mechanism.  I forget the costs of the Makita.  

All in all, if you wanted a cordless router I would be looking at the Ridged.  

One more thought here.  If I have made mistakes to the above information my apology but this is what I found. 

As mentioned before, I am personally invested in Milwaukee and Bosch systems and waiting for their cordless router entry.
I have the Craftsman 20V bolt-on system.  My wife bought me the router attachment - do not buy it.  While it has the power it runs too slow to do a smooth job.

I know PC made one for a while but believe they stopped.  I believe the key is speed of the bit.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(04-22-2018, 12:41 PM)handi Wrote: By that logic, you should never own any cordless tool, much less computer.

And history teaches otherwise. I have Ryobi 18v battery tools (including the trim router) that are well over a decade old, were NCad to begin with and are still compatible with the new Lithium batteries. Not all manufacturers will or do, but Ryobi specifically transitioned into Lithium without making existing tools obsolete. The NiCad batteries can even be charged in the Lithium charger.

Well, it depends on your use and where you use it.  If you are off on jobsites, need the speed and convenience (time is money) I can see the investment in a cordless router.  But for a lot of us, the tool rarely leaves the shop.  I've got corded drills that outlasted three generations of cordless ones, not that I'd be without a cordless drill.  I have the Bosch Colt trim router, great tool, and its never been a problem to use because of the cord.  If I made my living doing site work, I'd be in the cordless camp (plus, the expense would be tax deductible!).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I see DeWalt has announced a new 12 amp/hr battery......

Ed
(04-24-2018, 12:31 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, it depends on your use and where you use it.  If you are off on jobsites, need the speed and convenience (time is money) I can see the investment in a cordless router.  But for a lot of us, the tool rarely leaves the shop.  I've got corded drills that outlasted three generations of cordless ones, not that I'd be without a cordless drill.  I have the Bosch Colt trim router, great tool, and its never been a problem to use because of the cord.  If I made my living doing site work, I'd be in the cordless camp (plus, the expense would be tax deductible!).

My reply was to the suggestion that any battery tool would soon be made obsolete when the manufacturer changed the batteries. 

I never work on a jobsite anymore, and I have 5 corded routers including a Colt. I also have the Ryobi trim router. For big jobs, I grab the corded, for “I just need to make this quick pass” I use the cordless. I have a couple of cordless drills and yet occasionally I wish I had a corded drill.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
My first concern is whether, I need it cordless.
Considering, the cost of batteries, run time, power, and how often, I would use it where no power is available, I would pass on a cordless router.
Maybe, if I had $ coming out the wazoo, with nothing too spend on.
Heck, why not.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(04-29-2018, 09:16 AM)handi Wrote:  I have a couple of cordless drills and yet occasionally I wish I had a corded drill.

I bought this one maybe 20 years ago, still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004...FJFP&psc=1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
LOL.....I get pizzed when I have to dig out a corded drill motor.

Upset

Ed
Well, this thread seems to have been hijacked by 'corded drills' for some reason?  Actually, I have a couple of corded drills, a Milwaukee & a DeWalt w/ different max speeds - like to use them w/ my dowel jigs, and yes I own a bunch of cordless drills.

BUT, to return to the point of the thread, i.e. cordless trim routers - I cannot make a decision until the Bosch option appears in the USA in a month or so (if that is still true) - would want to know if their 12V tool will really do substantial trim routing - still not willing to invest into another battery technology since already heavily committed to Bosch.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Just an update!  The 12V Bosch router is not on their website, Amazon still states a June release, and an email to Bosch about the status of this router and its release in the USA remains unanswered - I'm just not sure that this item will be offered here in the near future - SO, wanting a cordless trim router I visited Home Depot and looked at the Ryobi & Rigid options (seem like the the same machines but I assume the Rigid 'innards' are better?); could not make a decision - also, looked at the Makita but the price w/ the battery/charger was much more.

Returned home w/o a cordless router, but no new messages from Bosch - thus, decided to go w/ a Rigid - found the package below on the Home Depot site - $129 for the router, a battery charger, and low AH battery - added the 2 AH battery from Amazon (2nd pic) w/ a $40 credit so just $6 - the total package about $140 - happy w/ the purchase.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina