New to wood turning
I will be taking an all day beginners class in woodturning at the Woodcraft store in Allentown, PA this Saturday. They are supposed to teach us how to turn a pen in the morning and a bowl in the afternoon. This will be my first attempt at using a lathe. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to in this class? After I return, I will try to apply my lessons to the ancient Craftsman lathe I recently inherited from my uncle. Thanks.
(04-19-2018, 01:29 PM)pgriff Wrote: I will be taking an all day beginners class in woodturning at the Woodcraft store in Allentown, PA this Saturday. They are supposed to teach us how to turn a pen in the morning and a bowl in the afternoon. This will be my first attempt at using a lathe. Is there anything I should pay particular attention to in this class? After I return, I will try to apply my lessons to the ancient Craftsman lathe I recently inherited from my uncle. Thanks.

It is good seeing you here again buddy.
Yes

First I would make sure the tools ARE sharp not just a few times ago it will make all the difference.  Then make sure he also teaches tool control and using the bevel of the tool and how to pick up a thin cut.  Other than that listen and learn and ask as many questions from him and us..
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The pen is pretty straight forward but learning how to use the bowl gouge is more difficult. The teacher may only have you use the bowl gouge so that would be a plus.
Don
safety first and always
(04-19-2018, 09:20 PM)gear jammer Wrote: safety first and always

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is supposed to be a small class so I hope all my questions get answered. I am planning to bring my batch of tools along with me to get the teachers comments on their condition and usefulness. Then I have to get the lathe cleaned off for a few pictures before it gets covered in chips.
When starting out, I think it's important to become facile with three tools; the spindle roughing gouge, the spindle gouge, and the skew chisel. My suggestion is to take a piece of wood about 2" x 2" x 12" and mount it between centers. Then turn it round with the spindle roughing gouge. Once it's a cylinder, learn to do "V" cuts with the skew. With a bunch of "V" cuts made, use the spindle gouge to learn to turn coves and beads. When you've gone through that exercise, turn away the coves and beads with the roughing gouge until you have another cylinder (albeit, thinner). Then repeat the process of "V"s, beads and coves. Do it over and over in order to create muscle memory and perfect the skills. You will be well served when you are comfortable with those tools, even if you gravitate towards bowls.
Ed

I agree with two of the tools.  The way I teach the vets is Spindle gouge for the beads and coves, Skew for some Vs and good for smoothing spindles and last the Bowl Gouge which I use for roughing and bowl work.

Awhile back I would have said the Roughing Gouge but now after several years of using the bowl gouge it is much easier and faster. 

One again this is how I do it and everyone else does it differently.

The only other thing I would add is a parting tool and really it is not just point and shoot tool it does take fanes to do it right.

So what do you use your bowl gouge for?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
took a bowl turning craft many years ago, just used a bowl gouge, and a parting tool. It's amazing how fast the tools get dull.
Green tree limbs are very good for practice. Cut a piece about a foot long and two inches thick, mount it between centers and chip away. Cuts like butter in is inexpensive way to learn.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(04-21-2018, 01:42 PM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Green tree limbs are very good for practice.  Cut a piece about a foot long and two inches thick, mount it between centers and chip away.  Cuts like butter in is inexpensive way to learn.

GM

Don't "chip," slice.  Until you do, you're not using the tools properly.  Slices fall, they don't fly.  It's the wood's way of telling you how it wishes to be cut.  If your instructor is worth the hire, s/he will teach you to cut and peel, not "chip."
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.