Badger? How to deal with it?
Is it a honey badger? I heard they don't give a chit.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(04-20-2018, 06:58 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Nope. Miller.

Well I'd take a Miller over a Bud, but when it comes to game days in Madison, I see a lot more kids drinking Bud.

My theory is that this is because young ladies prefer the less flavorful Bud over Miller (that aspect is proven).

And the young men prefer their young ladies a little tipsy.  While I don't have statistics to back that one up, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Oh, and the Badgers Marching Band plays a variation of a Budweiser jingle every chance they get.

Finally, the Bud colors closely resemble Badger colors.
If I'm gonna get hijacked, at least I'm getting hijacked for beer.  
Laugh

Life is too short for bad beer.  Every brand discussed so far qualifies as bad beer.  
Dead
(04-20-2018, 07:45 PM)WxMan Wrote: If I'm gonna get hijacked, at least I'm getting hijacked for beer.  
Laugh

Life is too short for bad beer.  Every brand discussed so far qualifies as bad beer.  
Dead

Funny I was focused on tipsy young ladies you stuck on the beer
No
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-20-2018, 07:45 PM)WxMan Wrote: If I'm gonna get hijacked, at least I'm getting hijacked for beer.  
Laugh

Dead

There are degrees of bad.

Of course, I like Pabst but can't drink it because the little hipster freaks like it.
(04-20-2018, 05:46 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Could those holes be from it digging to get a meal?  Doesn't look like the badger holes I found back in Texas.

I wouldn't think they're holes from digging to get food.  They're wide and deep.  By deep, I mean I was able to put a 5 1/2 foor tsick down that hole and still not hit bottom.  There are also branches off the main dig like a burrow.

I googled up some pics, and found some that looked like the one I found this morning.
(04-20-2018, 04:32 PM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks, all.

I've used smoke bombs before, but I've never been sure of their effectiveness.  Perhaps if I did a better job of finding the "back door" I could be more sure.

Understand about humane trapping, but I hear arguments all over the place, including reputable people who say that relocation is often less humane than a quick depredation.

There's a guy on Craigslist who advertises pest control devices that use the exhaust from a small engine that's routed into the hole.  Before I would buy one of those, I'd just take my mower to the hole and let it run with a hose attached.  My 26hp two-cylinder Gravely puts out a lot more exhaust than that little device.

I did my usual with the holes this morning; used a long stick, 5 gallons of water, and a rake to put all the soil back into the hole, this time as sloppy mud.  If those holes come back, I'll try the smoke bombs again.

Back in my youth when I worked as hump labor on my father in law's vegetable farm, we had a groundhog problem.  Maybe 30 of them living in the hedgerow between the fields.  Did a lot of damage, eating up the veggie crops.  I'd carry a shotgun in the truck, they ran away too fast for me to get it.  I actually dispatched several with my hoe.  But what really worked was the smoke bombs we got at the Agway Co-op, they were deadly.  Now, environmental rules and everything have changed since 1975, so I don't know if they changed the formulations, but they sure worked.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What really works is a 40 grain ballistic tip at 4000 feet per second.

Yes

Ed
My trusty old Marlin Model 60 or Ruger Standard would have to suffice.  But...can't hit what you can't see.  

I've only ever seen a live badger once, and it surprised me.  Wife and I were sitting out in front of the shop one warm afternoon and we saw him come up out of the bean field about 120 feet from us.  When he saw that I had noticed him, he scampered right back to the bean field and disappeared.
(04-21-2018, 06:36 AM)WxMan Wrote: My trusty old Marlin Model 60 or Ruger Standard would have to suffice.  But...can't hit what you can't see.  

I've only ever seen a live badger once, and it surprised me.  Wife and I were sitting out in front of the shop one warm afternoon and we saw him come up out of the bean field about 120 feet from us.  When he saw that I had noticed him, he scampered right back to the bean field and disappeared.

+1 on the Marlin 60. It's the only reason I own it.

Badgers have many dens over a large territory. You'd have to get real lucky to actually catch him in that hole.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay