Holdfasts - Non Cast Models
Black Bear Forge. http://www.blackbearforge.com/tools.htm
(04-23-2018, 04:48 AM)NEILYEAG Wrote: Black Bear Forge.   http://www.blackbearforge.com/tools.htm

thanks for the link
(04-21-2018, 08:46 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I have two of the Grammercy holdfasts. They are excellent. I use them all the time. But my favorites are the Veritas hold downs.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,41637

Try them. They are the best!

I want to try one of those! I will have to wait until the tool fund grows again 
Rolleyes

Thanks!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Count me as another happy Gramercy holdfast owner.  I've never, ever hand any issues with mine.  And they are formed similar to forging (formed wire so the grain flows around the bend).  So many others available are cast (e.g. Lie Nielsen, WoodRiver).  No doubt, LN has a high quality standard, but for something you're going to whack a lot with a mallet, I highly recommend a forged holdfast.  The Lee Valley (Veritas) hold-down works well, but if you are using them a lot, screwing down the knob to maintain pressure on the workpiece (and unscrewing it to release pressure) can get old in a hurry - especially if you're prone to arthritis or joint pain.  It is well-made, however, with a forged arm.

Cost-wise, the Gramercy holdfasts are one of the best bargains out there.  You can get a pair for $38.95.  A single LN holdfast is $50, and a single Veritas Hold-Down is $89.  A single cast ductile iron WoodRiver holdfast is $17.99.

My two cents...
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-23-2018, 07:33 AM)AHill Wrote: Count me as another happy Gramercy holdfast owner.  I've never, ever hand any issues with mine.  And they are formed similar to forging (formed wire so the grain flows around the bend).  So many others available are cast (e.g. Lie Nielsen, WoodRiver).  No doubt, LN has a high quality standard, but for something you're going to whack a lot with a mallet, I highly recommend a forged holdfast.  The Lee Valley (Veritas) hold-down works well, but if you are using them a lot, screwing down the knob to maintain pressure on the workpiece (and unscrewing it to release pressure) can get old in a hurry - especially if you're prone to arthritis or joint pain.  It is well-made, however, with a forged arm.

Cost-wise, the Gramercy holdfasts are one of the best bargains out there.  You can get a pair for $38.95.  A single LN holdfast is $50, and a single Veritas Hold-Down is $89.  A single cast ductile iron WoodRiver holdfast is $17.99.

My two cents...
The pricing is exactly why I have purchased the Gramercy Holdfasts.  I am looking forward to getting back to work on my farm table project today!

Thanks again to everyone that contributed something to this post!  I really appreciate the input and advice!

John
The Gramercy holdfasts arrived yesterday.  Man oh man I don't know why I didn't get these a few years ago instead of messing with those cheap Taiwan Cast Models.  Lesson learned.  

Thanks again for all the input and for the help!

Still Learning......

John