Stainless Steel Sink Flatness Expectations
I am changing everything in the kitchen and the sink is the present thing.  I purchased a 20 gauge Elkay at Lowe's and it was crowned heavily in the middle. I took it back and opened another in the store and one corner was bent severely.. .like it was dropped on that corner. The box was not damaged. I got irritated with Lowe's and Elkay customer service so I went to Ikea...as I like the size choices they have. Their clips are nicer an they have gaskets preinstalled. Brought one home  and it was kinked in the middle. Took it back and opened four there in the store and left with only my money back....all kinked.
Went to home depot and instead of purchasing anything,  first I thought I'd check. Opened two 20 gauge with two very helpful employees and they were both bent. One if the guys said with 20 gauge and thinner you won't get a straight one.  So I got an 18 gauge out (kohler I think) for $200 and it was not straight either. 

Now.... am I just stupid ? Should I not be able to get a flat sink for $200?  One if the guys told me his $300 SS sink wasn't flat either.

By the way I am not talking NASA flat...but out of flat 1/4 inch or literally kinked.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I haven't seen any that bad. Usually just a little wavy and once clamped down all is good. The under mount sinks are very flat as they have to be... 

Look at the up side... LOML had to have that ceramic farm sink from ikea. It's horrible, auful,crap every word you can think of. Since its ceramic it's not flat and it doesn't bend... It has a dip across the width of about 1/4 and not centered and it also has a twist and it was not the first one I tried so it wasn't the worst... 
      It's also dirty. You can get it nice and clean and it will immediately become nasty and dirty within a day. The only way to clean it is with baking soda as everything sticks to it. If it was black it wouldn't look dirty but white shows everything and never looks clean. And not to mention it's hard. So any stainless steel that rubs it will leave stainless marks behind. So you need a mixture of acids to clean it. Stuff that you have to get at a chemical supply or ebay.
        Never never never never ever buy a ceramic sink.
(04-21-2018, 07:48 AM)Scott W Wrote: ...am I just stupid ?...

You know what they say about doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting different results.
Smile

Your expectations are unrealistic. Everyone else is successfully using these very same sinks. It is up to the installer to make it work out.
Wood is good. 
Thanks for the replies.

So...assuming I am stupid, how does one successfully install a SS sink with a bend or kink in it?  At least how do you do it and make it look decent?
I guess I've been lucky (for a change!).  I'm two for two with stainless, 2 for two with ceramic, and two for two with fiberglass/plastic over the years.
(04-21-2018, 02:43 PM)KC Wrote: I guess I've been lucky (for a change!).  I'm two for two with stainless, 2 for two with ceramic, and two for two with fiberglass/plastic over the years.

That's for sure a good run.
We use the cast iron sinks. Just installed our 20 year old sink back into our new cabinets.

Yes they are heavy. Have some help on hand.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-21-2018, 02:25 PM)Scott W Wrote: So...assuming I am stupid, how does one successfully install a SS sink with a bend or kink in it?  At least how do you do it and make it look decent?

A kink in the sheet metal or a bent corner would be a no-go for me.

A bit of a crown? Put the clamps on it, the crown will disappear.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Just redid our kitchen and went with 16 ga. stainless. The countertop guys were going to install a 18 ga, but I am glad I went with a 16ga. 20 ga is just too thin for a kitchen sink.
I also went with a heavier 16 gauge sink ... I ordered a 36" bow front farmhouse sink manufactures by Vigo Industries.  The thing is a tank.  It's also less than half the price of  Delta and Moen at 18 ga.