Wore out another Yankee
I've just wore out my second North Bros. #31 Yankee push driver. The first one slipped when I used it. The second one is jamming shut. I really like using these things. Thought it might be time for an upgrade. Anybody tried one of these German made Schroder's that Garrett Wade sells?

https://www.garrettwade.com/improved-yan...rs-gp.html

I want to get the big one and maybe the 102 piece set of drivers. Thought I'd ask here first. 

carl
Can't help, but the notion of a hex chuck is sure attractive.
(04-21-2018, 04:28 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: I've just wore out my second North Bros. #31 Yankee push driver. The first one slipped when I used it. The second one is jamming shut. I really like using these things. Thought it might be time for an upgrade. Anybody tried one of these German made Schroder's that Garrett Wade sells?

I want to get the big one and maybe the 102 piece set of drivers. Thought I'd ask here first. 

carl

Is it wore out or dirty?  They can be taken apart, I didn't think it was fun though.
Tips can be reground to fit the Yankees

Might have a few of the older ones...

This is about half of them...last count was at 9..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-21-2018, 04:46 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Can't help, but the notion of a hex chuck is sure attractive.

I've had one of these chucks for some time now....

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...43417&ap=2
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-21-2018, 04:28 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: I've just wore out my second North Bros. #31 Yankee push driver. The first one slipped when I used it. The second one is jamming shut. I really like using these things. Thought it might be time for an upgrade. Anybody tried one of these German made Schroder's that Garrett Wade sells?

carl

For that kind of dough, look around for another Stanley/Yankee one that is close to NIB condition, they come up in the S&S once in a while, I've sold a number of them in the box here, or put a WTB post up; they are as good as the North Bros, but the original North Bros tended to be used a lot, and they do wear out.  Think of it this way, North Bros was acquired by Stanley in '46, so they are at least 70 years old, that's a lot of screwin........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Carl, I have a NOS Stanley 131A.
Shoot me a PM if interested.

John
Hmmm....I might have too many Yankees in the shop?
Confused
Rolleyes 

Some even have a few patent dates on them.    Fluted handle was sold by Craftsman....
Cool
Even have a few of the push drills...
Uhoh  

Some may need a few bits. 

I don't have a "problem"...I can stop at any time
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-23-2018, 09:14 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm....I might have too many Yankees in the shop?
Confused
Rolleyes 

Some even have a few patent dates on them.    Fluted handle was sold by Craftsman....
Cool
Even have a few of the push drills...
Uhoh  

Some may need a few bits. 

I don't have a "problem"...I can stop at any time
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Winkgrin

I picked one up about a month back, brand new in original box that had to have been sitting on a shelf for over 50 years.  If I hadn't found it I bet it would have been taken to a landfill with the rest of the garage it was in
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-21-2018, 04:46 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Can't help, but the notion of a hex chuck is sure attractive.

Yes, but NOT the Shroeder version.  I have a Craftsman branded Shroeder I bought 10+ years ago and while the rest of the driver works well, I've never been happy with the hex chuck.  Two issues with the hex chuck:  1)  You can't use the short bits, the chuck is intended for double sided bits, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you absolutely cannot use the more common single sided, short bits.  2)  The hex chuck is more of a collet type of chuck, so you need two hands free to tighten or loosen the hex to get bits in and out.  "Some day" I will modify a "normal" (i.e. similar to the Lee Valley adapter discussed next) hex chuck to my Craftsman.  Lee Valley used to sell (I hope they still do) a yankee shank to hex adapter.  What I like about their hex adapter is that it works the same as the original Yankee chuck, i.e. pull it back to release the bit, push in and listen for the click to insert the bit.  And they can use the short bits.

Just my $0.02

Edit to add: I should clarify that you can't use the short bits in the hex chuck as it is, you can use them if you use an adapter.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!