Removing plastic laminate
I have two patio doors with white plastic laminate on the outside, which has been coming loose due to the weather.  I already removed some of the sheets and reattached with contact cement about three  years ago, but most of the panels are now loose again.  I want to remove them and prime and paint them white.  I had no trouble removing the first white plastic panel but I am having a hard time removing the adhesive before priming.  I used mineral spirits with a putty knife but that is slow and does not remove all of the adhesive.  I used a heat gun with a putty knife and got more of the adhesive off.
Is there an easier way to do this?  And can I leave some adhesive on the wood if I prime before I paint?

Jay
Lacquer thinner should do it. Soak a rag in thinner and lay it on the adhesive for a few minutes, scrape with a putty knife and repeat as needed. Let dry and lightly sand before priming.
Some adhesives are heat activated.  You can try using a heat gun or a household iron to heat it up and see if it comes loose.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Could go on fire if you get it too hot or use a torch to heat it!  Do it outside.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The heat gun could char the wood, but a household iron is probably slower, but safe.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.