Heat equivalent of Led bulbs?
(04-23-2018, 12:55 PM)thooks Wrote: Hmm.... it was pretty clear to me.
That's because you didn't get your college degree in photography where bulbs are routinely rated by their color temperature.  

2,700 degrees K. = incandescent lights
5,600 degrees K. = daylight
6,000 degrees K. = open shade (slightly blue).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A standard incandescent 60W bulb puts out something like 850 lumens, and is 2-3% efficient.  So assume all the input energy turns to heat.

A typical 60W equivalent LED also puts out around 800 lumens, but only draws around 9W.  Even if all of that turned to heat and none into light, it's still only 15% of the heat of the incandescent, and of course, a larger percentage of that wattage goes to making light and less is let off as heat.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
As for heat, I can easily unscrew a LED bulb that has been burning bright for an hour using my fingers and not get burned.  

I would not try that with an incandescent bulb or a tungsten bulb.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Also its best to go by the lumen output on the bulb not the comparative wattage. Also get bulbs with the highest CRI you can afford/find. Higher CRI helps get rid of that nasty odd look that other bulbs have. Low CRI and low K will make your house look dank and yellow like and old bar that's been smoked in for 50 years. 

Many of the off brand bulbs tend to over state their wattage as well. It may say it uses 14 watts but in reality it's say 11. It's really hit or miss as many companies are pretty unscrupulous about ratings. Same with the color temperature as well. Lots of iffy bulbs out there but sometimes you find some deals on off brands. 

I like the osram and TCL bulbs with the TCL being the best bang for the buck usually and both are used in commercial applications. I like around 4k for the house and 5 to 6k for the shop or work areas. I hate dank yellow light.
(04-23-2018, 03:33 PM)TDKPE Wrote: A standard incandescent 60W bulb puts out something like 850 lumens, and is 2-3% efficient.  So assume all the input energy turns to heat.

A typical 60W equivalent LED also puts out around 800 lumens, but only draws around 9W.  Even if all of that turned to heat and none into light, it's still only 15% of the heat of the incandescent, and of course, a larger percentage of that wattage goes to making light and less is let off as heat.

This is the kind of information I am looking for .  So if I put a 100 watt eq. or even a 150 watt eq. LED in a 40 watt rated fixture it will get nowhere near as hot as a 40 watt incandescent.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Well, a 150W equivalent LED would be around 22W, so even if it was all just let off as heat, it's still well below the 40W rating of the luminaire.  But an LED is somewhere around the 15-20% efficiency range I believe, so at 20% only about 18W of the 22W is lost to heat.  Something like that.  So I would guess the luminaire would be fine even with a 150-200W equivalent LED.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-23-2018, 04:26 PM)Foggy Wrote: This is the kind of information I am looking for .  So if I put a 100 watt eq. or even a 150 watt eq. LED in a 40 watt rated fixture it will get nowhere near as hot as a 40 watt incandescent.

Foggy - you really sound confused - multiple posters including myself have already answered your questions - if still in doubt, then buy a 60W LED equivalent, plug into a socket along w/ a 60W incandescent bulb in another socket - turn on for 10 minutes or more, then try to touch each - then maybe you'll understand the difference in heat given off - if you are still using a LOT on incandescent light bulbs in your house, then it's time to change -
Wink
Big Grin  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
we have two spots on either side of our fireplace, and I put in two LED lights to replace the CFLs that were in there.  That was when I started to get my reputation of putting in too much light.  I can't imagine putting in a 150 watt led. Plus they are expensive.  Putting in a dimmer is on the list.

One of the motivations in my case was to replace the cans with j-boxes for insulation purposes because they were in unconditioned space.
(04-24-2018, 08:36 AM)EricU Wrote: we have two spots on either side of our fireplace, and I put in two LED lights to replace the CFLs that were in there.  That was when I started to get my reputation of putting in too much light.  I can't imagine putting in a 150 watt led. Plus they are expensive.  Putting in a dimmer is on the list.

One of the motivations in my case was to replace the cans with j-boxes for insulation purposes because they were in unconditioned space.

I have a bunch of cans in our kitchen with 1100 lumen led trims. On full blast they make the room very bright which is great for cooking. But I couldn't think of them not being on a dimmer. Though our under and over cab lights provide 98% of our kitchen lighting needs. 
     The cans look allot better than flush mounted fixtures and just add more insulation over them and all is good unless you just don't have the room.
I have a light at the automatic gate opener to the driveway that eats light bulbs. When the gate closes, it hits the post the light sits on and shakes it. Bulbs usually last a week- the led bulb so far has lasted 2 months. It is saving me from having to move the light.
Just thought I'd throw this out there to ya, in case you're wondering how durable they can be.