1872 Amoskeg Fire Engine
Hi, Guys

I finally finished a project I've been working on - off & on - for several months. Every piece had to be made in the shop (some of them more than once...
Crazy  ). I'm posting in this forum due to all the turning this project required. I definitely learned quite a bit more about turning while doing this!

I figure I've got about 60 hours in it and 17 different favors of wood...

[Image: eiw2E84.jpg]

[Image: qQhjh1m.jpg]

[Image: xu6PUPh.jpg]

[Image: PD98WFL.jpg]

[Image: AYnIN5l.jpg]

[Image: 7uCCcL8.jpg]

[Image: lcNStgI.jpg]

[Image: Okf0umX.jpg]

Thanks for lookin'!
Yes

As always, questions & comments are always welcome...
Winkgrin 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
That's a real stunner.  Did you buy a plan, or come up with it on your own?
(04-23-2018, 06:25 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: or come up with it on your own?

That's funny...
Laugh

I bought the plan a couple years ago. It took me a while to get up the nerve to start on it...
Smirk
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Dave

It has been awhile since you posted something and this project is just wonderful.  Are you keeping this or giving this to a young one?

If giving it away you will have to make another just for me urr I mean you.
Winkgrin

What all woods did you use and where?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-23-2018, 08:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What all woods did you use and where?

Thanks, Arlin!

I'll be hanging on to this one, I think...
Winkgrin

As for the different woods, there are 17:

Ash                                                   Frame, floorboard, air chamber base, seat frame, steering box, springs, fire box, wheels, hand brake, hose brackets

Black Walnut                                     Boiler, pulley shaft, spokes, pump wheel shaft, foot pedal, boiler & pump mounting pegs, hose bracket standards, axe mounts

Cherry                                              Pumps, water tank, bell post, hose brackets, pressure gauges

Birch                                                 Steering column

Maple                                                Pumps, wheel hubs, air chamber

Rosewood                                        Seat

Redheart                                          Driving lights, axe head, air chamber finial, toolbox

Hickory                                             Axe handle

Boxelder                                           Lantern globe

Holly                                                 Boiler, bell, toolbox latches, pressure gauge faces

Ebony                                              Hoses, nozzle pipes

Yellowheart                                       Nozzles, couplings, driving light lenses

African Blackwood                             Axels

Bubinga                                            Forward & rear pulleys, rear wheel standoff

Purpleheart                                       Steering wheel

Paduak                                             Pump wheels

Bloodwood                                        Lantern

I think that's about it...
Smile
Given my shop status these days, if I started a project like that I would be in a never ending cycle of make parts, lose parts, make replacements, lose previous.......  Nice piece of work.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(04-23-2018, 07:24 PM)Big Dave Wrote: That's funny...
Laugh

I bought the plan a couple years ago. It took me a while to get up the nerve to start on it...
Smirk

Big Dave-

Would you share where you bought the plan?  Incredible workmanship!

Prayer Woodworking is my cardio workout

When I die, I plan to be cremated.  It's my last chance for a "smokin' hot" body!
(04-27-2018, 09:31 AM)gtwhite Wrote: Would you share where you bought the plan?

Gladly!
Big Grin

Here ya go! Amoskeg Steam Powered Fire Engine Plans
That's cool!  I have to finish the thing I'm working on...been on the bench too long!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
That’s super; a real beauty.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.