Heat shield for grill
I had to build a enclosure to shield the bottom of my outdoor grill from the wind. It is made of wood and surrounds the grill on three sides but is open towards the front. I would like to cover the surface in the back closest to the fire box with something to protect the wood from the heat. What would be a good choice of material? The area I want to cover is about 30" long and 18" high. 

Mats
Mats
(04-25-2018, 08:19 AM)thooks Wrote: 22 gauge Aluminum.  See if you can find a local race car shop or aluminum fabrication shop.  Measure carefully, maybe sketch what you need and call around.  They should be able to cut it to size and even hem the edges to make it easy to handle.

If they want to charge you for a whole sheet, you might as well get the other sides done, too.

I think that might work, it looks like Home Depot has 36" x 36" sheet for $21/ea. It's thinner but would galvanized steel work?
Mats
Cement board, maybe?
(04-25-2018, 08:50 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Cement board, maybe?

That also sounds like a good idea. It says that cement backer board is for indoor/outdoor use and can handle the rain
Mats
Covering the wood won't help much. You want to create an airspace between the shield and the wood. Sheet metal or cement board, use spacers on long screws to keep the shield an inch away from the structure behind.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Asbestos.
Big Grin

There are many manufacturers of heat shield materials specifically for the oven industry.  Getting a small amount might be a problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+shi...e&ie=UTF-8

Go to a junk yard and find a retired stove and take it apart.  You will probably find some shielding materials.  Don't go for a really old stove or you might end up with some actual asbestos.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Like mentioned, whatever you use, you need that air gap.
Thanks guys, an air gap sounds like a good idea. I will probably go with the cement backer board and maybe a 1/2" air gap. There's plenty of room.
Mats
(04-25-2018, 01:31 PM)woodmats Wrote: Thanks guys, an air gap sounds like a good idea. I will probably go with the cement backer board and maybe a 1/2" air gap. There's plenty of room.

Yes, an air gap.  It's how many heat shields on cars work.  

John
An inch would be better.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.