Heat shield for grill
(04-25-2018, 02:22 PM)blackhat Wrote: An inch would be better.

Once I have in it place, it will be easy to adjust the spacing. I just finished the enclosure and after running the grill for one hour on high, the rear of the enclosure was warm but not hot. There's about 6" of space between the grill pan and the wood. This is a Weber grill hooked up to natural gas and I have found that it is very sensitive to wind and takes a good 20 minutes to warm up. After putting the enclosure around it, the warm-up time was cut in half. 

Mats
Mats
(04-25-2018, 02:49 PM)woodmats Wrote: Once I have in it place, it will be easy to adjust the spacing. I just finished the enclosure and after running the grill for one hour on high, the rear of the enclosure was warm but not hot. There's about 6" of space between the grill pan and the wood. This is a Weber grill hooked up to natural gas and I have found that it is very sensitive to wind and takes a good 20 minutes to warm up. After putting the enclosure around it, the warm-up time was cut in half. 

Mats

Did you convert the grill for natural gas? If it's set up for propane it isn't going to work very well.
(04-25-2018, 03:10 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Did you convert the grill for natural gas? If it's set up for propane it isn't going to work very well.

No, this is a grill that came outfitted for natural gas from Weber that we've had for 20+ years. It has always been sensitive to wind and I've used a crude portable windbreaker that I moved around depending on the wind direction and I decided to make something more permanent. Natural gas is convenient but you get a lot of build-up from the gas on the burner orifices so once every two years, I clean out the holes to maintain the operation. Boy, that's a lot of holes to scrape clean, one by one 
Big Grin ! 

Mats
Mats
(04-25-2018, 02:22 PM)blackhat Wrote: An inch would be better.
Yes. The idea, then, is to give the heat someplace to go before getting to the wood. To that end, you should make sure it has someplace to go. Not sure of your design, but you may want to consider leaving a gap to open air at the top and bottom. Natural convection will cause cooler air to continually come in from the bottom.
(04-25-2018, 05:44 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Yes.  The idea, then,  is to give the heat someplace to go before getting to the wood.  To that end, you should make sure it has someplace to go.  Not sure of your design, but you may want to consider leaving a gap to open air at the top and bottom.  Natural convection will cause cooler air to continually come in from the bottom.
It's basic frame and panel construction in the shape of "U". 2x4 rails and 4x4 corner posts. The back has 2 stiles to divide up the panel in 3 sections so I will mount the shield to those stiles with spacers to give me the space for air to flow behind the cement board.
Mats
(04-26-2018, 08:05 AM)thooks Wrote: I agree with the cement board and air gap.  Air gap would be easy to make with spacers made from cement board strips.

As far as galvanized, it's gonna rust and bleed rust all over your patio in about 5 years.

Good idea using the board to make spacers. I'll have plenty left over since the sheet is much larger than I need.

Mats
Mats